[News] Oracle Said to Release New OpenSolaris, Add R Support

  • Subject: [News] Oracle Said to Release New OpenSolaris, Add R Support
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 04:46:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Will Opensolaris 2010.06 be the next release?

,----[ Quote ]
| But wait. Today I just found in [osol-
| discuss] forums that Opensolaris 2010.06
| will be expected to release on June 2010.
| The release date has not been stated yet
| but it is expected to be announced shortly
| after Oracle announces Fiscal Year results,
| which means in a couple of days or so.
`----

http://www.techonia.com/will-opensolaris-2010-06-be-the-next-release

Oracle adds support for open-source R

,----[ Quote ]
| R was initially created by Ross Ihaka and
| Robert Gentleman at the University of
| Auckland in New Zealand. It now has a
| sizable community of users, as well as a
| large number of add-on packages.
|
| The new interface will join existing
| community-developed R packages for Oracle,
| including a database driver and a user
| interface.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/348326/oracle_adds_support_open-source_r?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1

Oracle kills AMD Opteron on Sun iron

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle is abandoning AMD's Opteron
| processors, according to a person familiar
| with the company's server plans.
|
| The new owner of Sun Microsystems will not
| use the new Opteron 6100 and impending
| Opteron 4100 processors in future Sun Fire
| x64 servers, and all existing Opteron
| servers will be discontinued.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/27/oracle_spikes_opterons/