[News] FreeBSD 8.1 Release Planned for New Month, DesktopBSD Returns

  • Subject: [News] FreeBSD 8.1 Release Planned for New Month, DesktopBSD Returns
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 04:50:41 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

FreeBSD 8.1 Enters Beta; Final Coming In July

,----[ Quote ]
| FreeBSD 8.0 was released in November, but
| now the first update in the 8.x series is
| approaching. FreeBSD 8.1 has entered beta
| and is expected for final release around
| July.
|
| The FreeBSD 8.1 schedule can be found at
| FreeBSD.org. Before making the July
| release, two release candidates are
| expected in June. There is also a Wiki page
| that's tracking what needs to be done to
| this point release.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODI5OQ

DesktopBSD â a new start

,----[ Quote ]
| This is good news for the FreeBSD world,
| FreeBSD advocacy and the FreeBSD project in
| general, and current DesktopBSD users in
| particular:
|
| According to the DesktopBSD website
| development of this KDE-based and FreeBSD
| based, user-friendly system will be restarted
| / continued by a group of developers
`----

http://www.freebsdnews.net/2010/05/31/desktopbsd-start/

Recent:

DesktopBSD 1.7 â last and final version

,----[ Quote ]
| Peter Hofer, founder of DesktopBSD,  has announced DesktopBSD 1.7. This new
| release comes with FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p3 as base system and KDE 3.5.10 as
| desktop environment and includes a large number of pre-installed
| applications. The easy-to-use graphical installer and utilities allow for a
| simple installation and configuration process.
`----

http://www.freebsdnews.net/2009/09/07/desktopbsd-1-7-final-version/

Related:

Review: DesktopBSD 1.6

,----[ Quote ]
| So how do I rate DesktopBSD 1.6? I'd say it's a lot better than previous
| versions. It strikes just the right balance between being friendly to the new
| user, and yet powerful and geek enough to satisfy the more seasoned user. The
| developers did a good job this time around and I think they should pat
| themselves on the back. There's still room for improvement, but isn't that
| true with any distro? But it's not improvements to make it good, or even
| great. It's already great. The next step up will be to make it exceptional. A
| hard rung to climb, but not if you're determined to be the best there is out
| there, and DesktopBSD is easily on its way towards that goal!
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=368

DesktopBSD 1.6 Release Notes

,----[ Quote ]
| This document contains notes regarding DesktopBSD 1.6, such as information
| about changes made since previous releases, a list of included software and
| currently known problems. Please consult this document before reporting
| bugs.
`----

http://desktopbsd.net/index.php?id=88

A quick overview of Desktop BSD 1.3