[News] Principle of Open Data Spreads in the UK

  • Subject: [News] Principle of Open Data Spreads in the UK
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 04:54:35 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Analysis: this government is open to scrutiny

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet as new technologies have made it
| possible for governments to make
| information more accessible to the public,
| governments have become increasingly
| creative in inventing excuses to keep it
| hidden.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7787408/Analysis-this-government-is-open-to-scrutiny.html

Open Data: Fantastic, But Not Enough

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unusual move for such a significant
| news item, the UK government announced over
| the weekend that they were ordering all
| government departments to embark on a
| voyage of transparency.
|
| There were some very good ideas in the
| announcement, including a mandate to
| publish details of all ITC procurements.
| And there is no doubt that a mandate for
| open data is a fantastic move.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2989

Tim Berners-Lee and Nigel Shadbolt speak out on web institute axing

,----[ Quote ]
| In a statement issued today, the pair --
| who were key in driving through changes in
| government that led to the creation of the
| data.gov.uk website and the freeing of
| Ordnance Survey maps and Royal Mail
| postcode information -- say that "the
| future remains bright" for the web science
| project, and that they are convinced that
| open data will become increasingly
| important to government.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/may/25/berners-lee-institute-web-science-statement