[News] New Examples of Open Hardware (With Linux) in Action: Willow Garage, BeagleBoard

  • Subject: [News] New Examples of Open Hardware (With Linux) in Action: Willow Garage, BeagleBoard
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 05:29:18 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Willow Garage shows how open source is supposed to work

,----[ Quote ]
| So Willow Garage is not the only open
| source robotics effort. Gostai in France
| offers Urbi, an AGPL system that can be
| used to build small robots. USC has The
| Player Project, used mainly for education.
|
| What all this really represents is hope.
| Itâs at the bottom of any cycle where
| America really shines. Apollo began at a
| time when the Soviet Union seemed to have
| beaten us to space with Sputnik. Open
| source rose to prominence from the dot-bomb.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/willow-garage-shows-how-open-source-is-supposed-to-work/6599

Willow Garage's Latest Robot Packs Up For Stanford

http://ostatic.com/blog/willow-garages-latest-robot-packs-up-for-stanford

BeagleBoard to gain 1GHz SoC, Ethernet

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this year, the BeagleBoard project
| released a faster BeagleBoard with the
| newer 720MHz version of the OMAP3530 (Rev.
| E). As with the earlier BeagleBoard, it
| ships with a Linux board support package
| (BSP).
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/BeagleBoardxM/?kc=rss

Recent:

Qbo, Based On Linux, To Join Growing Field Of Open Source Robots

,----[ Quote ]
| Slowly but surely, the field of open source
| robotics has expanded, and we've covered
| some of the most promising robot projects
| before. These include the iCub, which runs
| on an open source software platform found
| here, and open source robotics competition
| entries, with participants from all around
| the world. Now, one of the more interesting
| new open source robots is Qbo (shown), a
| Linux-based robot from the folks at
| thecorpora.com.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/qbo-based-on-linux-to-join-growing-field-of-open-source-robots