[News] [Rival] Xbox Loses Its Boss, Former Microsoft Exec Says Natal Will Fail, PS3 to Gain

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Xbox Loses Its Boss, Former Microsoft Exec Says Natal Will Fail, PS3 to Gain
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 05:53:33 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Xbox Boss Quits Microsoft Games Divisions

http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2010/5/24/xbox-boss-quits-microsoft-games-division/

PS3 to outsell 360 globally in 2010 - analyst

,----[ Quote ]
| If a new analyst report turns out the be on
| the money, Sony will sell roughly 3.5
| million more PS3s this year than Microsoft
| will Xbox consoles, which mark a turn of
| tides in the current-gen battle.
`----

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=248480

PS3 Increases Global Marketshare to 31 Percent

,----[ Quote ]
| The PlayStation 3 has jumped from an 18
| percent market since last year at the same
| time, to a 31 percent share. Microsoft
| better watch out.
`----

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/ps3-increases-global-marketshare-to-31-percent/

Sony Speaks on Exclusive DLC, PlayStation Move,

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/63954

Pachter: No browser for 360 as Microsoft wants to âown internetâ

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking on the latest version of
| GameTrailers show Pach Attack, Wedbush
| Morgan analyst Michael Pachter has
| explained why he feels Xbox 360 will never
| have a browser. Itâs all down to ownership,
| apparently.

| Pachter said:
|
| âThe 360 doesnât have a browser, and never
| will, because Microsoftâs vision when they
| made the original Xbox was to own the
| internet. The way you own the internet is
| to make sure all traffic that passes
| through your box is controlled by you.â
|
| Pachter opined that adding social media
| content to Live is acceptable to Microsoft
| because it still doesnât allow open
| browsing.
|
| âMicrosoft [said], âYou are not getting out
| of this box unless we control your access.â
| So when you replicate Facebook, Twitter,
| Nextflix on the 360 itâs not the same. You
| arenât actually going to those sites; you
| are going to a Microsoft-controlled site
| where they know exactly what you are
| touching.
`----

http://www.vg247.com/2010/05/23/pachter-no-browser-for-360-as-microsoft-wants-to-own-internet/

Pachter: Microsoft Wants to Own the Internet

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100861-Pachter-Microsoft-Wants-to-Own-the-Internet

Former Microsoft Exec Says Natal Will Fail

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview with Retro Gamer, Scot
| Bayless, a former studio manager at
| Microsoft, said that he believes Project
| Natal will fail.
|
| Bayless experienced the failure of the 32X
| peripheral for the Genesis when he was a
| Senior Producer at Sega and told Retro
| Gamer that he believes Natal could see a
| similar fate.
|
| "When I met with Microsoft in 2008 to look
| at Natal I asked: 'When will you integrate
| this into the 360?' Their response was:
| 'We're probably going to wait and see on
| that.' To which I said: 'Then you're going
| to fail.'"
|
| Bayless believes that Natal will fail
| because it will split consumers between
| those who have the peripheral and those who
| don't and will act as a disincentive to
| developers. "Plays like this always
| fragment and the disincentive to developers
| is powerful; when I'm spending tens of
| millions on a game, the last thing I want
| to do is lose 90 per cent of my market."
`----

http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=18975

FBR Capital Ups MSFT To Buy And Raises Target Price

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems that Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer
| is dissatisfied with the dreary performance
| shown by the companyâs non-core business.
| This was evidenced when the company axed
| two of its top consumer product executives
| in games and mobile.
`----

http://www.benzinga.com/markets/company-news/10/05/304438/fbr-capital-ups-msft-to-buy-and-raises-target-price

Recent:

XBMC drops support for XBOX

,----[ Quote ]
| The XBMC developers have announced that
| they are dropping support for XBOX
| consoles. Although the popular open source
| media centre started as a program for
| modified XBOX consoles, the developers say
| that the "XBOX has hard limits for what it
| can handle" and that "it is a popular
| misconception that official XBOX
| development is still taking place by the
| team".
|
| [...]
|
| XBMC has been forked into a number of other
| programs, including, for example, Boxee and
| Plex. The latest release of XBMC is version
| 9.11 from the end of December, 2009. XBMC
| is released under the GNU General Public
| License (GPL).
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/XBMC-drops-support-for-XBOX-1010421.html

Farewell XBOX

,----[ Quote ]
| XBMC (XBMP really) started as a program for
| modified XBOX consoles. In the following
| years, XBMC has grown into a multi-platform,
| multi-architecture media center that runs on
| most standard hardware. The hardware and legal
| limitations of the XBOX were always a concern
| and the Team has instead focused on running on
| the hardware that most people already have.
|
| The last official release for the XBOX by the
| XBMC team was Atlantis, over 18 months ago.
| Since then, one brave soul (Arnova) has been
| merging code from the main codebase into the
| XBOX branch in our repository. Because there
| were many users out there that took advantage
| of these updates, we had no problem with this.
`----

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2010/05/27/farewell-xbox/

Microsoft Cuts XBOX Live From Original XBOX Console

http://erictric.com/2010/04/14/microsoft-cuts-xbox-live-from-original-xbox-console/

Microsoft To Pull The Plug On Xbox Live For The Original Xbox Tonight

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/04/microsoft_to_pull_the_plug_on_xbox_live_for_the_original_xbox_tonight.html