[News] GNU/Linux Games: Console, New GPL Release, Others

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Games: Console, New GPL Release, Others
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 20:07:19 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Pandora Open-Source Gaming Handheld Now Shipping [After Two Years, Linux-based Gaming Handheld Finally Out The Door To Lucky Buyers]

,----[ Quote ]
| The Pandora team is currently building a
| batch of some 4,000 handhelds, and completed
| ones are already being shipped. One of their
| forum mods, x68000, received the first mass-
| produced model, which he showed off with some
| unboxing pictures.
`----

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/05/28/pandora-open-source-gaming-handheld-now-shipping-after-two-years-linux-based-gaming-handheld-finally-out-the-door-to-lucky-buyers/

Indie game Gish source code released

,----[ Quote ]
| Gish source code is available from GitHub and
| is released under version 2 of the GNU
| General Public License (GPLv2).
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Indie-game-Gish-source-code-released-1013101.html

Live for Speed - Absolute perfection!

,----[ Quote ]
| Great computers games are like love at first
| sight. The moment you power on the game, you
| know it's something different and you know
| you're going to love it. This is what
| happened to me with Live For Speed. While
| reading about VDrift, a cross-platform racing
| simulator, on Wikipedia I noticed a reference
| to Live for Speed (LFS). The game had a free
| demo available, so I downloaded it.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/live-for-speed.html

X-Plane Flight Sim in Ubuntu 10.04 64bit

,----[ Quote ]
| I gave in finally and decided to buy X-plane,
| which has a native Linux version, great
| right?  Well fairly great... As I waited for
| the CD's to arrive, I noticed that there was
| a demo version online, so I downloaded and
| installed it.  At which point I ran into my
| first problem.  My 64bit version of Ubuntu
| was missing a lib file needed for the
| installer to run.  After hours of searching
| the net, I was able to place the correct
| 32bit lib file in the correct 32bit lib
| folder, and then create a link from there to
| the 64bit lib files.  At last the installer
| worked.  After hours of downloading the
| rather large installer, X-plane hiccuped on
| install, missing another file.  I patched
| that file in and tried it one more time.  It
| worked, I watched the sweet intro, and played
| it a bit with the keyboard and mouse as I
| awaited the arrival of the game.
|
| [...]
|
| X-Plane continues to be developed, while the
| Microsoft Flight Simulator series ended with
| FSX.  The hope is that X-Plane will get
| better and better.  I hope the developers at
| X-Plane will realize that their Linux
| customer is important.
`----

http://www.rwdubsreviews.com/2010/06/x-plane-flight-sim-in-ubuntu-1004-64bit.html