[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.10; Ubuntu 10.04 LTS News

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.10; Ubuntu 10.04 LTS News
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:02:06 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu to push latest Firefox to Hardy, Jaunty and Karmic

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a posting on the Ubuntu
| developers mailing list, Ubuntu developers
| are planning to push the next release of
| Firefox, 3.6.4, to the current  Ubuntu
| release, Lucid Lynx 10.04, and to older
| versions such as Hardy (8.04LTS), Jaunty
| (9.04) and Karmic Koala (9.10). These older
| versions currently have Firefox 3.0  and
| xulrunner 1.9 both of which are no longer
| supported by Mozilla.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Ubuntu-to-push-latest-Firefox-to-Hardy-Jaunty-and-Karmic-1013183.html

Ubuntu To Pull In New Versions Of Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu's longstanding policy of not pulling
| in new major versions of packages into their
| stable repositories is facing a slight
| change. Canonical along with the Ubuntu
| development community have been making it
| easier to deploy Mozilla Firefox web-browser
| updates into existing Ubuntu releases.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODMwNw

Summary of development plans for Ubuntu 10.10

http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2010/05/31/summary-of-development-plans-for-ubuntu-10-10/

Mandriva-style control centre for Ubuntu

http://www.tectonic.co.za/2010/05/mandriva-style-control-centre-for-ubuntu/

Canonical - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS review

,----[ Quote ]
| With each and every release, Ubuntu Linux
| seems to get that little bit easier and
| friendlier to use. To put it through its
| paces, we downloaded the CD image of the
| latest iteration, Ubuntu 10.04, burned it to
| a disc and booted directly from it.
|
| In the past, many Linux distros booted up as
| a live CD from that point, and once you'd
| arrived at the desktop screen, there sat the
| icon to install the operating system to your
| hard disk. Ubuntu 10.04 instead offers you a
| welcome half-way house, in that mid-boot you
| can choose whether to try a live CD without
| writing files to your system, or go for the
| full install. We opted for the latter.
`----

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/software/s899.htm

Why does Ubuntu keep shipping with Evolution?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Evolution mail client has been the
| default such application in Ubuntu since I
| got to know of Linux. Sure it is the default
| GNOME mail/calendar application, but I really
| am of the view that Ubuntu needs to drop it
| in favor of say Mozilla's very brilliant
| Thunderbird.
|
| For one thing running Evolution on my machine
| makes me wonder if it is IE in disguise. It
| is, for starters, very heavy on my system
| resources. My hdd light keeps blinking to
| hell when I click on that application at any
| time. It also seems to take an eternity to
| respond to my mouse clicks.
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/06/why-does-ubuntu-keep-shipping-with.html

Recent: