[News] Free software in Smartphone, Sourceforge, and Samba's New Web Site

  • Subject: [News] Free software in Smartphone, Sourceforge, and Samba's New Web Site
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:38:54 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Smartphone platforms and law enforcement

,----[ Quote ]
| Android
|
| Android is the newcomer to the smartphone
| market. Android began as a mobile variant of
| the aforementioned open-source Linux OS, and
| was then acquired by Google. The Android OS
| is now available as an open-source platform
| again, and its users rave about it. Android
| presently (mid-2010) holds about 10 percent
| of the smartphone market, but is predicted to
| dominate the market with Symbian by 2012.
| Android phones are presently available from
| T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon and AT&T.
`----

http://www.policeone.com/police-technology/articles/2071838-Smartphone-platforms-and-law-enforcement/

Sourceforge eats its open-source dogfood

,----[ Quote ]
| You might not recognize the name Geeknet, but
| you probably know its popular tech sites such
| as Sourceforge, Slashdot, Ohloh, Think Geek,
| Freshmeat, and the recently acquired
| Geek.com.
|
| When Geeknet opened a new data center in
| Chicago two years ago, the network operations
| team wanted to centralize management of
| hundreds of systems serving the Geeknet Web
| network.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-20006525-62.html

Web sites, Conferences and Coding

,----[ Quote ]
| Check out the new look, updated Samba.org web
| site - complete with new logo ! We really
| like it as it meant we had an excuse to get
| new Samba Team t-shirts, and stickers for our
| laptops. Thanks to SerNet for taking care of
| our new 21st Century look.
`----

http://news.samba.org/developers/Samba_Team_Blog_4/

Recent:

Samba 3.5 release includes experimental SMB2 support

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Samba-3-5-release-includes-experimental-SMB2-support-944241.html