[News] Software Patents and Trolls Still a Problem

  • Subject: [News] Software Patents and Trolls Still a Problem
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 22:31:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Driving a Stake In A Blood Sucking Software Patent

,----[ Quote ]
| Few topics can illicit a more guttural
| response from an open source advocate than
| the topic of software patents. In many
| respects they are the very anti-thesis of
| open source. In security there has been one
| particularly irksome patent that has
| bedeviled the industry for years and probably
| held back innovation and progress in gateway
| anti-virus technology. Now after all these
| years, as many have claimed in the past, the
| patent is on the verge of being over turned
| as invalid. The best news is that it very
| well may have been the open source community
| that showed it as invalid!
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/62030

Patent Troll Mantra: Sue First, Ask Questions Later

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100528/1320179621.shtml

Patent Litigation Weekly: Spangenberg Speaks, Says Sue First, Ask Questions Later

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, MDB Capital Group--an IP-focused
| investment bank that promises to help
| investors understand "the hidden value of
| intellectual property assets and future
| technological leadership"--held what it
| billed as its first annual "Bright Lights"
| intellectual property conference, bringing
| together IP-centric speakers from a variety
| of small and medium-size companies.
|
| The Prior Art attended the opening panel,
| which included the heads of two of the
| largest, and most litigious, patent-holding
| companiesâErich Spangenberg and Paul Ryan,
| the CEO of Acacia Research Corp., the largest
| publicly traded patent-licensing company.
|
| The panel also included representatives from
| consultancy ipCapital Group and RPX Corp.,
| which buys litigated patents in order to
| strike deals between NPEs and operating
| companies, as well as IP guru Marshall
| Phelps. (Phelps is something of a legend for
| building IBM's legendary $2 billion patent-
| licensing operation; most recently, he helped
| Microsoft build up a patent-licensing
| operation before leaving the company last
| year.
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/cc/PubArticleCC.jsp?id=1202458625096&Patent_Litigation_Weekly_Spangenberg_Speaks_Says_Sue_First_Ask_Questions_Later

Former Head of Patents at MS & IBM Joins Article One Partners

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2010/02/01/former-head-of-patents-at-ms-ibm-joins-article-one-partners/id=8681/

All That's Left Of Nortel? Patents For The Trolls

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100528/1654189625.shtml

Nortel may raise $1.1 billion from patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Nortel Networks Corp., the insolvent Canadian
| phone-equipment maker, may get as much as
| $1.1 billion (U.S.) for technology patents
| that analysts say would benefit potential
| bidders including Research In Motion Ltd.
`----

http://www.thestar.com/business/companies/nortel/article/814692--nortel-may-raise-1-1-billion-from-patents

Patent cloud looms over Google Web video plan

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20006245-264.html