[News] [Rival] Windows Zombies Run Amok, Microsoft In Bed With Hackers/Crackers,

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows Zombies Run Amok, Microsoft In Bed With Hackers/Crackers,
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 22:47:48 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The botnet business

,----[ Quote ]
| Think you've got good security? Well, maybe
| you do. But can you say the same for your
| colleagues and friends? Probably not.
| According to RSA, EMC's Security Division,
| even at Fortune 500 companies 88% of them had
| systems that had been accessed by infected
| machines and 60 percent of them had
| experienced stolen email account information.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/security/106428/the-botnet-business

Big botnets and how to stop them

http://www.itworld.com/security/106429/big-botnets-and-how-stop-them

So Microsoft has always been in bed with hackers?

,----[ Quote ]
| âWhen it comes to security, even hackers
| admit weâre doing a better job making our
| products more secure than anyone else.
| Brandon LeBlanc of Microsoft.
|
| I find the above quote both interesting and
| serious at the same time. The blog post
| linked to above is a Microsoft rebuttal of
| claims that Google is shifting from MS
| Windows to Mac and Linux given the insecurity
| of the Redmond cash cow.
|
| [...]
|
| The entire blog post raises just three
| questions in my mind:
|
| 1. So is Microsoft implicitly conceding that
| in the past hackers used to have a field day?
| 2. Why has it taken them so long to now be
| taking security related risks "seriously?"
| 3. Who are the "anyone else" Brandon refers
| to? Perhaps Apple or the Penguin?
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/06/so-microsoft-has-always-been-in-bed.html

FBI Goes After 'Scareware' Scams

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/features/article.php/3885231/FBI-Goes-After-Scareware-Scams.htm

Recent:

One-third of Security Essentials users infected: Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/28745/53/