[News] Microsoft's OOXML Corruption Wagon Still Travels in Land of OOXML Scandals

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft's OOXML Corruption Wagon Still Travels in Land of OOXML Scandals
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 22:52:39 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

OOXML/ODF - The Next Stage is Unfolding in Norway

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2009, Norway decided  that ODF was to be
| used, rather than OOXML, but called for
| further study and input from the IT industry,
| and I gather Microsoft put its shoulder to
| the wheel, and guess what? Now there is a
| new report (in Norwegian) that compared the
| two and concludes that neither is suitable,
| and both should be kept "under observation".
| So, what should the government use as their
| standard if the report's conclusions are
| accepted? What's left? Previous legacy binary
| formats, one assumes?
|
| Wait. No, it didn't. It didn't compare OOXML,
| the ISO standard, with ODF. It compared
| *ECMA-376*, which is not an ISO standard,
| with ODF 1.1, which is, but which no one much
| uses any more, practically speaking, last I
| heard, since everyone has moved to 1.2.
| What's the logic there?
|
| [...]
|
| Notice a decided tilt? Doug Mahugh, Alex
| Brown, Gareth Horton, and Jesper Lund
| Stocholm, the usuals pushing OOXML, and
| Mahugh and Stocholm left cynical comments on
| Garshol's blog about the study, on what a
| great study he did, as if it was news to them
| he was doing it, as I read their comments.
|
| [...]
|
| Is *that* why the OOXML dudes have been
| posting comment after comment and blog post
| after blog post attacking ODF? I was
| wondering why they thought that would help.
| The report's author says in a comment, "My
| main source for the assertion that there are
| lots of errors is the ODF error database..."
| He acknowledges that, "I realize that the
| testing I describe here is very
| superficial..."
|
| Well, yes, yes it is. It comes across to me
| like Microsoft dumped a pile of talking
| points on his desk, and he wrote them up.

Norwegians leave their Standards Body in protest

,----[ Quote ]
| 13 members of the TC in Norway has left their Standards Body in protest. They
| say that the Standards Body has lost its credibility in the IT area. Remember
| that Standards Norway was voting Yes with the support of only 2 companies
| (Microsoft and Statoil), and against the will of the rest of the technical
| committee.
|
| [...]
|
|     Oslo, Monday 29 september 2008
|
|     We, the undersigned, are ending our cooperation with Standard Norway.
|
|     It is the play when organizations should have our common interest aimed
|     to fail the task. Through the work of OOXML Standard Norway has shown,
|     with a clear margin, that they are not fit to represent Norway in the
|     ISO.
|
|     "Standardization of formats for content on the Web is more important than
|     ever. A large part of mankind's communication is done digitally, and
|     all - ALL - to have the ability to read and write these formats," said
|     Haakon Wium Lie.
|
|     Standard Norway chose to defy their own technical committee and vote yes
|     to a specification that is immature, useless, and unworthy to is called
|     an ISO standard.
|
|     To Standard Norway has carried this process we consider that the
|     organization has lost its credibility in the IT area. Standards Norway
|     has set its own commercial interests ahead of what is most societies
|     server, technological and academic advisable. "By participating in a
|     further work in Standard Norway will we lose our academic credibility,"
|     said Arne S. Nielsen.
|
|     Therefore, we choose to stay out.
|
|     We end our cooperation with Standard Norway because:
|
|         * Standard administration has taken the option to emphasize 37 letter
|         from Microsoft partners more than their own technical committee.
|         * Standard process in Norway has been unpredictable and playing rules
|         have been changed by the administration along the way.
|         * SN and ISO have committed a series of violations of their own rules
|         and other irregularities in the OOXML process.
|
|     The undersigned:
|
|        1. Haakon Wium Lie
|        2. Martin Bekkelund (NUUG)
|        3. Petter Reinholdtsen (NUUG)
|        4. Linpro AS v/ Trond Heier Linpro AS v / Trond Heier
|        5. BjÃrn Venn
|        6. Steve Pepper
|        7. Arne Sigurd Rognan Nielsen
|        8. Henning Kulander
|        9. Axel Bojer
|       10. Geir Isene
|       11. Thomas Malt
|       12. Anthony Lardahl (NUUG)
|       13. Knut Olav BÃhmer Knut
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-93970/norwegians-leave-their-standards-body-in-protest

The Norway Vote - What really happened

,----[ Quote ]
| But loâ at this point, the ârulesâ were changed. The VP asserted that âEcma
| has clearly made steps in the right direction.â The most important thing now
| was to ensure that OOXML came under ISOâs control so that it could
| be âfurther improvedâ. However, the committee was not allowed to discuss
| this.
|
|     The VP thereupon declared that there was no consensus, so the decision
|     would be taken by Standard Norway.
|

| Halfway through the proceedings, a committee member had asked for (and
| received) assurance that the Chairman would take part in the final decision,
| as he had for the DIS vote back in August. It now transpired that the BRM
| participants had also been invited to stay behind. 23 people were therefore
| dismissed and we were down to seven. In addition to Standard Norwayâs three,
| there were four âexpertsâ: Microsoft Norwayâs chief lobbyist, a guy from
| StatoilHydro (national oil company; big MS Office user), a K185 old-timer,
| and me. In one fell swoop the balance of forces had changed from 80/20 to
| 50/50 and the remaining experts discussed back and forth for 20 minutes or so
| without reaching any agreement.
|
|     The VP thereupon declared that there was still no consensus, so the
|     decision would be taken by Standard Norway.
|

| The experts were dismissed and the VP asked the opinion of the Secretary (who
| said âYesâ) and the JTC1 rep (who said âNoâ).
|
|     The VP thereupon declared that there was still no consensus, so the
|     decision would be taken by him.
|

| And his decision was to vote Yes.
|
| So this one bureaucrat, a man who by his own admission had no understanding
| of the technical issues, had chosen to ignore the advice of his Chairman, of
| 80% of his technical experts, and of 100% of the K185 old-timers. For the
| Chairman, only one course of action was possible.
|
| [...]
|
| The meeting was a farce and the result was a scandal. But itâs not over yet,
| and one thing is clear: the âlittle oneâ is unfit to represent the interests
| of Norwegian users. Itâs time he was told, âRoll over, roll overââ
`----

http://topicmaps.wordpress.com/2008/04/18/the-norway-vote-what-really-happened/

Computer experts stage street protest in Oslo against Microsoft document format
as standard

,----[ Quote ]
| OSLO, Norway: Roughly 60 data experts staged a rare and noisy street
| demonstration in downtown Oslo on Wednesday to protest the adoption of
| Microsoft Corp.'s document format as an international standard and against
| Norway voting for the move.
|
| [...]
|
| He claimed the committee ignored the advice of the vast majority of the
| Nordic nation's software experts, was pressured by Microsoft and
| displayed "scandalous behavior."
`----

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/09/business/EU-TEC-Norway-Digital-Demonstration.php

Photos: http://flickr.com/groups/750232@N22/pool/

OOXML triggers demonstration in Norway: "Let's throw OOXML out of ISO"

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-52412/ooxml-triggers-demonstration-in-norway:let-s-throw-ooxml-out-of-iso

Demonstration outside ISO conference

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Pepper, the former Chairman of the Norwegian committee responsible for
| deciding the Norwegian vote on OOXML, is calling for a demonstration to take
| place outside the building where SC34, the ISO committee that has been landed
| with OOXML, is holding its spring plenary.
|
| The demonstration will take place outside HÃndverkeren, Rosenkrantzgate 7,
| Oslo, Norway, on Wednesday April 9 at 12.00. Among the slogans are:
|
| * No to ISO approval of OOXML!
| * Defend the integrity of ISO!
| * Microsoft: Support ODF!
| * Ecma: Withdraw OOXML!
| * Norway must say no to OOXML!
`----

http://blogs.freecode.no/isene/2008/04/07/demonstration-outside-iso-conference/

2008-04 OOXML irregularities in Norway

|     * 2007: committee stuffing: the NS/K 185 committee grew from 6-7 persons
|     to 30 persons due to the OOXML case...
`----

http://wiki.efn.no/2008-04_OOXML_irregularities_in_Norway

MEPs Question Microsoft's Eligibility for Gov't Projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission, which has not responded yet, is allowed a few weeks to reply.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144591/meps_question_microsofts_eligibility_for_govt_projects.html

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=697&blogid=14

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/10/member-eu-parliament-asks

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/106338/from/rss09

EC probes OOXML standards-setting process

,----[ Quote ]
| A spokesman for the European Commissioner for Competition, Neelie Kroes, told
| The Register that regulators were continuing to scrutinise interoperability
| issues related to Microsoftâs products following complaints from the
| Committee for Interoperable Systems (ECIS) group.
|
| As part of that process, the EC formally contacted a number of national
| standards bodies, including the Norwegian Standards Institute (NSI),
| requesting more details about possible irregularities in the OOXML
| standardisation process.
|
| [...]
|
| âIt must be stressed that it is not the Commission's intention to influence
| the outcome of this process, but the Commission considers it essential to
| ensure that European competition law is not violated in the course of the
| standard setting process,â he said in an email to El Reg.
|
| In January the EC began formal anti-trust probes against Microsoft in two
| cases where it was alleged that the multinational firm had abused its strong
| market position. As part of the investigation into the first case, the
| Commission said that it would scrutinise OOXML on the grounds that the
| specification doesn't work with those of competitors.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/04/ooxml_ec_investigation_iso/

Related:

EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

,----[ Quote ]
| I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
| happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
| Quinn was by no means unique.

Norway and OOXML

,----[ Quote ]