[News] Hollywood a Threat to GNU/Linux Users in Canada

  • Subject: [News] Hollywood a Threat to GNU/Linux Users in Canada
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 15:27:38 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

If you're Canadian, you use Linux and you like multimedia, you're about to become a criminal.

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a kind of crosspost summary of a
| new copyright amendment bill that was
| announced yesterday. Bill C-32 attempts to
| 'modernize' copyright law in Canada to
| bring it up to spec with other developed
| nations (aka to meet US agenda).
|
| The bill would make it illegal to
| circumvent or break locks of any kind on
| digital media, even for personal use. This
| supersedes all other provisions of the
| bill, which means you may be a criminal if
| you
|
|     * Own and play region-locked DVDs from
|     other countries
|     * Play regular DVDs on Linux
|     * Play Blu-Ray Discs on Linux
|     * Transfer media to an iPod Touch /
|     iPhone / iPad using Linux
|     * Listen to DRM'd music on Linux
|
| And anything else that involves protected
| content that lacks official Linux support.
|
| Speak up while you can. Find your MP and
| write them an email telling them why you
| are opposed to C-62.
|
| We don't want a US style DMCA, please
| don't let that happen.
|
| Edit: Android is also Linux, so this
| applies to all of you Android users too!
`----

http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/cb2w4/if_youre_canadian_you_use_linux_and_you_like/

Recent:

Canadian copyright collecting agency subverting open debate on copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| Access Copyright, the Canadian author's collecting society (a group that
| collects money from libraries for book lending and gives it to authors) is
| using its members' money to sabotage an enormously popular consultation on
| the future of Canadian copyright.
|
| [...]
|
| As a Canadian author, Access Copyright is supposed to represent my interests
| in the Canadian copyright debate. Instead, they are setting out to undermine
| the first glimmer of sanity in Canadian copyright policy in three
| governments -- and using my money to do it. For shame.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/07/29/canadian-copyright-c-1.html

Canadian tax software and Linux

,----[ Quote ]