[News] "Open Data" Movement Make Progress, Digital Economy Act Falls on Its Face

  • Subject: [News] "Open Data" Movement Make Progress, Digital Economy Act Falls on Its Face
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 18:18 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Local council? Want to publish your data? Hereâs how

,----[ Quote ]
| In a very timely fashion, data.gov.uk has
| come up with a blogpost explaining for any
| local authorities who want to know (and
| are listening/reading) how to publish
| itemised local authority expenditure.
`----

http://www.freeourdata.org.uk/blog/2010/06/local-council-want-to-publish-your-data-heres-how/

Opening up government finances

,----[ Quote ]
| The following guest post is from Chris
| Taggart of OpenlyLocal, who advises the
| Where Does My Money Go? project on local
| spending data, and is a member of the Open
| Knowledge Foundationâs Working Group on
| Open Government Data.
`----

http://blog.okfn.org/2010/06/03/opening-up-government-finances/

Study: Wikipedia Accurate But Poorly Written

,----[ Quote ]
| Take that, Wikihaters. A new study says
| Wikipedia is as accurate a source for
| cancer information as a professionally
| reviewed resource â assuming you can wade
| through the lousy prose.
|
| Cancer researchers from Thomas Jefferson
| University compared the accuracy of
| oncology information on the popular open-
| source encyclopedia with that on the
| National Cancer Instituteâs Physician Data
| Query (or PDQ), a professional database
| that is peer-reviewed and edited. Both
| were fact-checked against textbooks to see
| whether cancer patients can trust the
| information theyâre getting online.
`----

http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/06/02/study-wikipedia-accurate-but-written-poorly/

DE Act: does the UK qualify for a 2-tier copyright regime?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.iptegrity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=538&Itemid=9