[News] BackWeb Slaps Microsoft for Patent Violation, Microsoft Might Buy Novell for Patents

  • Subject: [News] BackWeb Slaps Microsoft for Patent Violation, Microsoft Might Buy Novell for Patents
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 18:40:50 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

BackWeb Announces Settlement of Patent Infringement Lawsuit with Microsoft

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/backweb-announces-settlement-of-patent-infringement-lawsuit-with-microsoft-2010-06-03?reflink=MW_news_stmp

BackWeb Announces Settlement of Patent Infringement Lawsuit with Microsoft

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Windows/Microsoft-Settles-Patent-Infringement-Lawsuit-with-BackWeb-688644/

BackWeb, Microsoft settle patent litigation

http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2010/05/31/daily42.html

BackWeb Announces Resolution of its Patent Infringement Lawsuit Against Symantec

http://www.infostor.com/index/wire-news/news-display/1197624889.html

Microsoft Patents "Fonts With Feelings"

,----[ Quote ]
| "Seems like those old IBM flaming logo
| commercials (video) should count as prior
| art, but the USPTO granted Microsoft a
| patent Tuesday for inventing Fonts With
| Feelings. Giving font characters sound,
| motion, and altered appearance, Microsoft
| asserts, gives a user 'the impression the
| fonts have personalities,' thereby
| enhancing the user's understanding and/or
| fluency of words. From the patent: 'As a
| few non-limiting examples, the word
| 'giant' can get very large; the word
| 'lion' can morph into a line drawing of a
| lion; the word 'toss' can morph into a
| hand that animates a ball toss; the word
| 'bees' could show bees flying around with
| or without a 'buzz' sound effect'. If
| you're curious, Microsoft Research offers
| some explanations and examples of
| 'fontlings' in action â don't miss 'f'
| kicks 'a'!"
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/06/02/1431232/Microsoft-Patents-Fonts-With-Feelings

If Microsoft Bought Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| Then a thought occurred to me. If
| Microsoft did purchas Novell and then
| continue to distribute SuSE would that not
| invalidate their patent claims against
| other companies for using/selling
| GNU/Linux? Wouldnât the GPL prevent them
| from distibuting SuSE while they hold
| patent suits against other companies for
| the same GPLâs software? I know more
| previsions were put in regarding this for
| version 3, but I wonder if even version 2
| would uphold their inability to not file
| patent suite against companies using Linux
| and force an end to their FUD.
`----

http://www.thelinuxlink.net/myblog/?p=391

SCO Agrees to Pay the Constructive Trust

,----[ Quote ]