[News] [Rival] Apple is Lying and Doing More Evil Things to Free Software

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Apple is Lying and Doing More Evil Things to Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 18:45:16 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Apple's HTML5 Showcase Isn't HTML5, Blocks Other Browsers

,----[ Quote ]
| If you go to Apple's HTML5 Showcase page
| and click on any of the demonstrations
| using, say, Google's Chrome, you'll be
| confronted with a pop-up stating you need
| Safari to see the demo at work. However,
| if you compare Safari's and Chrome's
| support for HTML5, you'll see that Chrome
| has far better support.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/23411/Apple_s_HTML5_Showcase_Isn_t_HTML5_Blocks_Other_Browsers

Only Apple can do open standards, apparently

,----[ Quote ]
| And now, for more from Appleâs âweâre more
| open than all of youâ campaign. In an
| effort to showcase how cool HTML5 and open
| web standards are Apple has set up a
| demonstration page on its website.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/2010/06/only-apple-can-do-open-standards-apparently/

Christopher Blizzard from Mozilla complains about it too:

intellectual honesty and html5

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/2010/06/intellectual-honesty-and-html5/

Steve Jobs: the iPad came before the iPhone, Flash still sucks

http://dvice.com/archives/2010/06/steve-jobs-the.php

Steve Jobs' Big Fat Lies?

,----[ Quote ]
| "You can't sell, if you can't lie!" Many
| businessmen follow this mantra. Steve Jobs
| is no exception. He created a misleading
| myth around Flash that it doesn't work
| well on Apple mobile devices thus they
| were banning Flash.
|
| The truth was something else, far from
| what Jobs wrote in his some 2000 words
| blog. Flash is more than a rich-content
| player, it is a platform. It will enable
| developers and publishers to run many
| applications on Mac mobile devices without
| money being pumped through Jobs' vaults.
| Jobs doesn't want that. He wants a tight
| control on his devices thus he banned
| Flash.
|
| [...]
|
| WebKit was not 'innovated' or created by
| Apple. The codebase of WebKit comes from
| the Free Software project KHTML. Apple
| took the code base developed my hundreds
| of developers for free and forked it as
| WebKit, the layout engine for Apple's
| Safari.
|
| Most Apple software is based on code taken
| from Free Software projects like BSD. I
| think Steve was way wrong when he said
| "Google was building off of the open-
| source WebKit engine, which Apple
| created".
`----

http://www.muktware.com/blog/02/2010/154

Web Kit â The Secret Sauce To Appleâs iPhone?

http://socialmediaseo.net/2010/06/02/web-kit/

Recent:

Steve Jobs: âWe are not allowing apps that create their own desktopsâ

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.macstories.net/news/steve-jobs-we-are-not-allowing-apps-that-create-their-own-desktops/