[News] Developments in Linux Kernel Space and Graphics Stack (Ubuntu 10.10 Gets X.Org Server 1.8)

  • Subject: [News] Developments in Linux Kernel Space and Graphics Stack (Ubuntu 10.10 Gets X.Org Server 1.8)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 21:47:10 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Guest Blog: Rares Aioanei â Weekly Kernel review with openSUSE Flavor

http://lizards.opensuse.org/2010/06/04/guest-blog-rares-aioanei-weekly-kernel-review-with-opensuse-flavor/

Wayland Meets Some Summer Love w/ New Changes

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week we openly asked the question if
| and when will X12 emerge to replace X11,
| which was met by a variety of responses.
| Some view the Wayland Display Server as
| being a potential successor to the current
| X11 / X.Org Server, but others don't give
| it much credit seeing as it's not too
| actively worked on -- well, directly, but
| it leverages a lot of work actively going
| on with the Mesa and kernel DRM. The last
| time the Wayland Display Server received
| new commits to its code-base was back in
| March, but that changed this weekend.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODMyNA

X.Org Server 1.8 Being Pulled Into Ubuntu 10.10 Soon

,----[ Quote ]
| While many new packages have been pulled into
| the "Maverick Meerkat" repository for Ubuntu
| 10.10, one area that hasn't yet received many
| changes compared to the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
| packages has been the X.Org graphics stack.
| However, that soon will change with X.Org
| Server 1.8 being pulled into the Maverick
| repository in the very near future.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODMyMw

Recent:

  The State Of The X.Org Server 1.9 Release

,----[ Quote ]
| Version 1.8 of the X.Org Server was just
| released at the start of April, but Intel's
| Keith Packard who's been serving as the
| release manager called for an even tighter
| release schedule with X.Org Server 1.9.
| Keith pushed plans for an August release of
| X Server 1.9. With that said, to meet that
| deadline, the merge window for the 1.9
| release is closing at the start of June.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODI3MA

X.Org Server 1.8.1 Released To The Wild

,----[ Quote ]