[News] New Distro Reviews: Quirky 1.2, Arch, Slackware, and PLoP

  • Subject: [News] New Distro Reviews: Quirky 1.2, Arch, Slackware, and PLoP
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 22:15:04 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

[Reviews]: Quirky 1.2 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Quirky distribution built using Woof
| builder for Puppy Linux, looks as same as
| puppy linux 5.0 but more lighter, we
| already reviewed Puppy Linux 5.0 check it
| for more information.
`----

http://www.linuxnov.com/reviews-quirky-1-2-review/

Cradle to Grave â A Look at Arch Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, though, I am enthusiastic about
| the possibilities Arch Linux offers and
| plan to continue experimenting with it.
| This article has been completed using the
| beta version of OpenOffice.org 3.2, which
| is available through the Arch Linux
| repository. Both the stable and the beta
| versions can be installed. It would be
| immensely valuable to me if users could
| try the new packages for features
| important for them and provide feedback.
`----

http://www.linuxforu.com/views/cradle-to-grave-a-look-at-arch-linux/

A look at Slackware 13.0

,----[ Quote ]
| After all this, I ended up with a usable Slackware 130.0 installation.
| Login screens have a pleasing dark theme by default while the desktop
| is very blue. There may be no OpenOffice but KOffice is there in its
| place and Seamonkey is an unusual inclusion along with Firefox. It
| looks as if itâll take a little more time to get to know Slackware
| but it looks good so far; I may even go about getting 13.1 to see how
| things might have changed and report my impressions accordingly. Some
| will complain about the rough edges that I describe here but comments
| about using Slackware to learn about Linux persist. Maybe, Linux
| distributions are like camera film; some are right for you and some
| arenât. Personally, I wouldnât thrust Slackware upon a new Linux user
| if they have to install it themselves but itâs not at all bad for that.
`----

http://technologytales.com/2010/06/05/a-look-at-slackware-13-0/

In praise of PLoP

,----[ Quote ]
| The shortest posts I seem to have are always for the
| tools that are the quickest, most efficient and most
| effective. PLoP Bootmanager is one of those things, and
| for that reason, Iâm afraid I donât have much to say about it.
|
| A long time ago I kept Smart BootManager on hand, for times
| when a machine wouldnât boot from a CD. Any more though, PLoP
| has supplanted it, and won a place in my little CD binder.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/06/07/in-praise-of-plop/

Recent:

Linux fragmentation: good or bad?

,----[ Quote ]
| The consumers arenât going to care about
| Linux fragmentation because theyâre not going
| to see much of it: theyâll see âAndroidâ,
| which happens to be built atop a rich stack
| of Linux kernel and library components. As
| long as their calls donât drop and their apps
| run, theyâll be blissfully ignorant of any
| Linux fragmentation.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/05/11/linux-fragmentation-good-or-bad/

Fragmentation good for the user, says Nokia

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10013788o-2000331761b,00.htm