[News] Free Software to Get Better Chances in the UK After Party Changeover

  • Subject: [News] Free Software to Get Better Chances in the UK After Party Changeover
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 23:32:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Getting Increased Savings From E-Learning With Licence Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| A BECTA report into costs of open source
| software (OSS) in schools(v)found that the
| annual total cost per PC was less for nearly
| all the open source software schools at both
| primary and secondary school levels. For OSS
| schools, cost per PC at primary school level
| was half that of non-OSS schools, and cost
| per PC at secondary school level was around
| 20% less than that of the non-OSS schools.
| Annual support costs in individual OSS
| schools varied widely, but on average were
| 50â60% of those of their non-OSS
| counterparts, except OSS secondary schools
| which had slightly higher costs for informal
| support.
`----

http://www.publicnet.co.uk/features/2010/06/04/getting-increased-savings-from-e-learning-with-licence-free-software/

One in four state IT contracts to go to SMEs, says Cable

,----[ Quote ]
| Small businesses have struggled in the past
| to win government contracts. Mark Taylor,
| chief executive of open-source software
| company Sirius Corporation, welcomed the
| government pledge.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/business-of-it/2010/06/03/one-in-four-state-it-contracts-to-go-to-smes-says-cable-40089129/

Recent:

[UK] Joint plans for government published

,----[ Quote ]
| We will create a level playing field for
| open-source software
`----

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_187877

Open source software in UK schools...it missed the boat

,----[ Quote ]
| Buying an Open Source solution is
| becoming much the same as buying a
| proprietary one...which is a good thing.
|
| Well, we have a new Government, spending
| cuts have begun and speculation about how
| schools will be affected is well under
| way. Naturally the likes of me are
| looking for clues as to how ICT in
| schools will be changed.
|
| Last week the NAHT railed against the
| excessive costs of outsourced ICT, this
| week yet another public IT project went
| belly-up as a result of naÃve
| outsourcing. This time it was to a giant
| French IT company who promised the Met
| Police 'massive savings' in their Payroll
| and HR systems..hah!
|
| So is it safe to assume that the gloss is
| going off outsourcing?..maybe... it all
| depends on just how savvy are our new
| masters and mistresses in parliament.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2969

FOSS vendors lick chops over ConLib IT plans

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course both the Tories and the LibDems
| currenty face an overwhelming problem with
| a multi-billion pound deficit. So is the
| pledge to support open source software
| procurement - that might just help drive
| down some costs - a happy coincidence for
| the Camelegg jamboree?
|
| "With the current coalition exploring a
| rather unchartered territory [sic] of
| power sharing and common interests, it
| will be interesting to see what change the
| new Cabinet will bring to the UK public IT
| policy,â Ingres global ops veep Steve
| Shine told The Register following the
| coalition's formation.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/18/open_source_uk_government_what_next/

UK dominates European ICT services market

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/regulation/2010/05/18/uk-dominates-european-ict-services-market-40088967/