[News] [Rival] Apple Slammed, Scrutinised by DOJ Investigators, Criticised by Dan Gillmor, and More

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Apple Slammed, Scrutinised by DOJ Investigators, Criticised by Dan Gillmor, and More
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 23:34:59 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Did Apple Break the Law? DOJ Investigators to Probe Apple Much Deeper

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has long played itself up as the
| cool outsider, making fun of rivals like
| Microsoft as stodgy, uptight business
| people.  However, Apple's success has
| transformed it into exactly the type of
| company it mocks -- a giant with effective
| monopolies in several markets.  And
| according to many observers, the company
| -- one of the tech industry's largest
| firms -- has become increasingly brazen in
| its violation of antitrust laws.
`----

http://www.dailytech.com/Did+Apple+Break+the+Law+DOJ+Investigators+to+Probe+Apple+Much+Deeper/article18556.htm

Steve Jobs defends his PG-rated walled garden

,----[ Quote ]
| At the All Things Digital conference, the
| Apple CEO acts like closed-system critics
| are cheaters or porn peddlers
|
| [...]
|
| I'm disappointed beyond words, meanwhile,
| that journalism organizations are racing
| to create apps for the iPad, even though
| they're putting the final say over whether
| their journalism is acceptable into
| Apple's hands. What does it say about
| their journalistic principles that they'd
| do this? Most won't even respond to the
| question, and I've asked many. National
| Public Radio's Kinsey Wilson, who heads up
| NPR's online development, is one of the
| few to admit discomfort with the
| situation, saying that Apple holds the
| leverage at this point; he, and other news
| executives, are basically hoping Apple
| won't jerk them around the way it's done
| with others.
|
| [...]
|
| You should realize that Jobs' view of porn
| -- like his company's view of forbidden
| political content (the latter policy has
| been amended in a more liberal way, Jobs
| said) -- essentially means anything more
| adult than what in the movie business
| would get a PG rating. (Unless, of course,
| the Apple content police decide that, say,
| the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue,
| reportedly as racy as some banned apps,
| should be allowed, which it is.)
|
| [...]
|
| Which is why Apple and Jobs could resolve
| this issue in a heartbeat. They could
| encourage users to use only the Apple-
| approved apps and see only the Apple-
| approved content. Many, maybe most, would
| do that.
|
| But Apple could then create a setting that
| does what the iPhone jailbreakers do
| unofficially: open the device for
| unapproved uses. It could come with a
| stern message like this: "By clicking
| here, you will be exposing yourself to
| risks we can't control."
|
| Right. Just like my Mac. Just like real
| life.
`----

http://www.salon.com/technology/dan_gillmor/2010/06/02/steve_jobs_walled_garden/index.html

How to Get Rejected from the App Store

http://www.pcworld.com/article/197976/how_to_get_rejected_from_the_app_store.html

Is Steve Jobs Big Brother?

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/01/is-steve-jobs-big-brother/

Apple's no-donation policy for apps is a cop-out

,----[ Quote ]
| Ars Technica recently started an
| interesting conversation on the mixed
| reaction to This American Life's use of
| push notifications in its iPhone app
| (developed at PRX) to encourage donations
| by its tens of thousands of users (each of
| whom paid $2.99 to buy the app).
|
| I agree that app developers should use
| push notifications very sparingly, and
| they definitely run the risk of negative
| reactions if the message isnât clearly
| tied to the appâs purpose and value. As
| Seth Lind from This American Life said in
| the discussion on the post, this was an
| experiment. Further donation messaging
| will be in-app, and mostly in the audio
| itself where Ira Glass can most
| effectively make the case for why This
| American Life deserves your support.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/06/nonprofit-developer-apples-no-donation-policy-is-a-cop-out.ars

Peter Scheer

Executive Director, First Amendment Coalition

Apple's vetting of iphone apps is ham-handed but not an illegal threat to free speech

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-scheer/apples-vetting-of-iphone_b_595100.html

Apple is also connected to the MPEG cartel.

Recent:

Apple's HTML5 Showcase Isn't HTML5, Blocks Other Browsers

,----[ Quote ]
| If you go to Apple's HTML5 Showcase page
| and click on any of the demonstrations
| using, say, Google's Chrome, you'll be
| confronted with a pop-up stating you need
| Safari to see the demo at work. However,
| if you compare Safari's and Chrome's
| support for HTML5, you'll see that Chrome
| has far better support.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/23411/Apple_s_HTML5_Showcase_Isn_t_HTML5_Blocks_Other_Browsers

Only Apple can do open standards, apparently

,----[ Quote ]
| And now, for more from Appleâs âweâre more
| open than all of youâ campaign. In an
| effort to showcase how cool HTML5 and open
| web standards are Apple has set up a
| demonstration page on its website.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/2010/06/only-apple-can-do-open-standards-apparently/

intellectual honesty and html5

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/2010/06/intellectual-honesty-and-html5/

Steve Jobs: the iPad came before the iPhone, Flash still sucks

http://dvice.com/archives/2010/06/steve-jobs-the.php

Steve Jobs' Big Fat Lies?

,----[ Quote ]
| "You can't sell, if you can't lie!" Many
| businessmen follow this mantra. Steve Jobs
| is no exception. He created a misleading
| myth around Flash that it doesn't work
| well on Apple mobile devices thus they
| were banning Flash.
|
| The truth was something else, far from
| what Jobs wrote in his some 2000 words
| blog. Flash is more than a rich-content
| player, it is a platform. It will enable
| developers and publishers to run many
| applications on Mac mobile devices without
| money being pumped through Jobs' vaults.
| Jobs doesn't want that. He wants a tight
| control on his devices thus he banned
| Flash.
|
| [...]
|
| WebKit was not 'innovated' or created by
| Apple. The codebase of WebKit comes from
| the Free Software project KHTML. Apple
| took the code base developed my hundreds
| of developers for free and forked it as
| WebKit, the layout engine for Apple's
| Safari.
|
| Most Apple software is based on code taken
| from Free Software projects like BSD. I
| think Steve was way wrong when he said
| "Google was building off of the open-
| source WebKit engine, which Apple
| created".
`----

http://www.muktware.com/blog/02/2010/154

Web Kit â The Secret Sauce To Appleâs iPhone?

http://socialmediaseo.net/2010/06/02/web-kit/

Steve Jobs: âWe are not allowing apps that create their own desktopsâ

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.macstories.net/news/steve-jobs-we-are-not-allowing-apps-that-create-their-own-desktops/