[News] [Rival] Microsoft Allegedly Storms More Offices; Pequot Microsoft Corruption Revisited

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Allegedly Storms More Offices; Pequot Microsoft Corruption Revisited
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 00:27:14 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft audits a fact of life

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has denied speculation that it
| is taking a more aggressive stance
| auditing Kiwi businesses that it suspects
| of using more Microsoft software than they
| have licences for.
|
| Legal counsel Waldo Kuipers declined to
| comment on rumours that one large listed
| company had agreed to pay Microsoft
| $900,000 following an audit a year ago.
`----

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/3755707/Microsoft-audits-a-fact-of-life

The Twists and Turns in the Pequot Inquiry

,----[ Quote ]
| The S.E.C. only began looking at trading
| by Pequot in 2005, including some well-
| timed investments in Microsoft in April
| 2001. When it takes that long to start
| reviewing trades, evidence of how
| information may have been passed might not
| be available and the memories of witnesses
| can fade, making it difficult to put
| together a case.
|
| [...]
|
| Pequot and its chief executive, Arthur J.
| Samberg, settled with the S.E.C. by
| agreeing to pay nearly $28 million as
| disgorgement and a penalty, without
| admitting or denying liability, for
| trading in advance of a favorable earnings
| announcement from Microsoft. A former
| Microsoft employee hired by Pequot right
| around the time of the trading, David E.
| Zilkha, was named in an administrative
| complaint filed by the S.E.C. as being the
| source of the information.
`----

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/01/the-twists-and-turns-in-the-pequot-inquiry/?src=busln

Recent:

SEC settles charges with Pequot firm over insider trading

,----[ Quote ]
| Pequot Capital Management and its chief
| executive, Arthur Samberg, agreed to pay
| $28 million to settle the SEC's charges
| that the firm traded shares of Microsoft
| based on insider information.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/27/AR2010052705351.html?nav=rss_business/industries

"Integral Capital Management" and "Pequot Ventures / Pequot Capital Management"
have been buying huge chunks of SCO stock. There's a pretty short version of
those degrees-of-separation chains leading back to MSFT if you're a conspiracy theorist.

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2003-09-16-016-26-NW-RH-LL&reply=0029&quote=1

Pequot Capital to Shut Amid SEC Insider-Trading Probe (Update2)

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
| in January resumed a probe into whether
| Sambergâs funds illegally profited in 2001
| by trading on inside information about
| Microsoft Corp., people familiar with the
| matter said at the time. That was about a
| year after the agency told Samberg and
| Morgan Stanley Chief Executive Officer John
| Mack they wouldnât be accused of wrongdoing
| related to insider trading.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=adzQGDVos7OQ&refer=home

SCO's 10K, MyDoom, and the Morgan Keegan letters

,----[ Quote ]
| VSpring Capital (SCO)
| Vector Capital (SCO)
| IDG Ventures (Broadmark)
| Group Atlantic Partners, LLC (Broadmark)
| Paladin Capital Group (Broadmark)
| Pequot Capital (Broadmark)
| Technology Crossover Ventures (Broadmark)
| Ram Capital Resources, LLC (Impact Capital)
| Crestview Capital Fund (Impact Capital)

Finally: Fried Frank, Wachtell on Pequot Insider Trading Settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson
| and Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz played
| key roles brokering a $28 million
| settlement that resolves a long-simmering
| allegation that Pequot Capital Management,
| the Westport-based hedge fund, committed
| insider trading in Microsoft securities in
| 2001, according to SEC officials.
|
| The SEC filed suit against Pequot and its
| chairman, Arthur Samberg, today and
| announced at the same time that Pequot and
| Samberg agreed to pay $28 million combined
| in disgorged profits and penalties to
| settle the case. (They did not admit or
| deny guilt.) Federal investigators had been
| looking into the allegations since at least
| 2005 but closed early investigations after
| failing to find enough evidence to bring a
| case, according to our prior reporting. But
| then something happened that didn't help
| Pequot: The employee at the center of the
| case got divorced, and e-mails implicating
| the employee, David Zilkha, in the insider
| trading scheme came to light in filings.
| Zilkha joined Pequot in 2001 after working
| for Microsoft, and he used his contacts at
| Microsoft to tip Pequot to the fact that
| Microsoft was about to release a better-
| than-expected earnings report in the spring
| of 2001. Pequot then made $14 million on
| trades of Microsoft securities, according
| to the SEC's complaint.
`----

http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdaily/2010/05/pequotinsidertrading.html

Feds Charge Two In Insider-Trading Plot Involving Disney

,----[ Quote ]
| Wowza. Folks out at Disneyâs HQ in Burbank,
| Calif., are probably doing a bit of glassy-
| eyed headshaking on Wednesday, in wake of a
| criminal complaint filed a few hours ago.
|
| The complaint, filed by federal prosecutors
| in Manhattan, has alleged that a former
| administrative assistant to Disneyâs head
| of communications and her boyfriend tried
| to sell advance access to the companyâs
| second-quarter earnings reports. Click here
| for the WSJ story; here for the criminal
| complaint.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2010/05/26/feds-charge-two-in-insider-trading-plot-involving-disney/

Related:

Microsoft exec dumped stock prior to Red Ring announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| To make matters more murky, the sales were not registered with the Securities
| and Exchange Commission within the mandatory two days of the transaction, a
| result of an alleged "administrative error." Microsoft has since remedied the
| issue by following the "procedures required of late-filers."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/08/14/microsoft-exec-dumped-stocks-prior-to-red-ring-addresment

Microsoft's Bach sold more stock before Xbox news

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. executive Robbie Bach sold $3 million more in company stock
| during the period leading up to an announcement about a costly flaw in its
| Xbox video game console than previously reported, according to a filing
| Monday with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsofts-bach-sold-additional-stock/story.aspx?guid=%7BBECA3A50-EF33-4161-A111-A43BDC8B0462%7D&siteid=yhoof

Insider Trading Hasn't Affect Microsoft Stock - Yet

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070713/40947_id.html?.v=1

,----[ Quote ]