[News] Bilski Decision Imminent, VC Lobbies for Abolition of Software Patents

  • Subject: [News] Bilski Decision Imminent, VC Lobbies for Abolition of Software Patents
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 21:31:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Bilski Decision Watch

,----[ Quote ]
| They are probably right to be. A delay
| this long in the decision most likely
| means that the Court is waiting until the
| end of the term to release it - which they
| traditionally do for what the Justices
| consider to be their most important and/or
| far reaching decisions of the year.
|
| It may also be the case that there are
| either important dissents or concurring
| opinions on the case, thus prompting a
| delay with back and forth rewrites and
| revisions to the final decisions. (Though
| one should recall that at oral arguments,
| the Justices seemed universally critical
| to the idea of broad-based business method
| patents.)
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000003049

And I thought patents encouraged innovation

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000003046

Mailing Out Patent Absurdity

,----[ Quote ]
| On the eve of re: Bilski, the anxiously
| awaited Supreme Court decision on business
| method patents (with potential
| implications for software patents), I
| decided to collaborate with the End
| Software Patents coalition and send out
| 200 copies of the short movie they
| recently produced called Patent Absurdity
| about why software should not be able to
| be patented to a focused list of key
| people.  The letter follows.
`----

http://www.feld.com/wp/archives/2010/06/mailing-out-patent-absurdity.html

Mailing Out Patent Absurdity

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/post.aspx?bid=358&bpid=25296

The "End Software Patents" Web site:

Patent Absurdity mailed to 200 policy setters

,----[ Quote ]
| Venture capitalist Brad Feld has mailed a
| copy of Patent Absurdity to 200 policy
| setters in the USA (see Who should see
| Patent Absurdity?). The 200 are
| influential people in companies, standards
| groups, academia, and the relevent
| political committees.
`----

http://news.swpat.org/2010/06/patent-absurdity-mailed-to-200-policy-setters/

Also in Slashdot:

Venture Capitalists Lobby Against Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| ciaran_o_riordan writes "No matter which
| side the US Supreme Court's Bilski
| decision pleases, it will be just the
| beginning of the software patent debate in
| the USA â the other side will start a
| legislative battle. The lobbying has
| already begun, with venture capitalist
| Brad Feld arguing against software
| patents, mailing a copy of Patent
| Absurdity to 200 patent policy setters. As
| Feld puts it, 'Specifically, I'm hoping
| the film will bring you to an
| understanding of why patents on software
| are a massive tax on and retardant of
| innovation in the US.' The patent lawyers
| and big patent holders often tell us that
| patents are needed to secure investment,
| so it's interesting to see now that
| venture capitalists are refuting that. And
| Brad Feld isn't the only vocal one;
| there's a growing list."
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/06/07/1930220/Venture-Capitalists-Lobby-Against-Software-Patents

Recent:

Bilski leaves us waiting

http://www.sdtimes.com/blog/post/2010/06/01/Bilski-leaves-us-waiting.aspx

Bilski Sets the Patent Pondering Record

http://www.investingcontrarian.com/global/bilski-sets-the-patent-pondering-record/

More concern over synthetic biology patents

,----[ Quote ]
| The piece, which was originally published in
| the Financial Times, follows earlier
| criticism from Nobel laureate John Sulston,
| PhD, that such patents could be "extremely
| damaging."
`----

http://scopeblog.stanford.edu/archives/2010/06/synthetic-biology-patents.html

No Bilski Blockbuster from Supreme Court Today

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2010/05/no-bilski-blockbuster-from-supreme-court-today.html