[News] China Goes Patent Crazy Because of WIPO; Patents on Yoga???

  • Subject: [News] China Goes Patent Crazy Because of WIPO; Patents on Yoga???
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 21:36:51 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Patent soar during 30 years of WIPO membership

,----[ Quote ]
| June 3 marked the 30th anniversary of
| China's membership in the World
| Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
|
| [...]
|
| By the end of 2009, 7.22 million trademark
| applications had been filed, with 4.27
| million registered, as trademark
| applications soared to 830,000. All three
| figures rank first in the world.
`----

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90778/90860/7018824.html

Yoga heritage: don't even think about stealing it, says Indian government

,----[ Quote ]
| The "videographs" are intended to provide
| irrefutable evidence for anyone hoping to
| patent a new style of yoga that the
| Indians got there first. A previous effort
| to define yoga, based simply on
| translations of ancient texts circulated
| to the relevant authorities, had mixed
| results, so now they are trying again.
|
| [...]
|
| The campaign to safeguard India's rich
| heritage of medicinal art, craft and
| practice has already scored major
| victories, forcing European companies to
| reverse patents on the use of extract of
| melon, ginger, cumin, turmeric and onions
| for a range of health products. In each
| case Indian government officials were able
| to comb the new digital library to submit
| carefully translated excerpts from texts
| ranging from 19th century medical text
| books to 5th century manuals of
| traditional ayurvedic medicine to support
| their claims.
|
| [...]
|
| The campaign to preserve yoga as Indian
| has its roots in a bid several years ago
| by Bikram Choudhury, the self-proclaimed
| Hollywood "yoga teacher to the stars", to
| get his Bikram yoga style patented in the
| US.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jun/08/yoga-heritage-india-filming-asanas

Related:

Careful What You Ask For: China's Patent System Causing Trouble

,----[ Quote ]
| All those foreign nations who kept pushing China to build up its own patent
| system and learn to "respect intellectual property" may soon be regretting
| that, as they're suddenly blocked out of the Chinese market by Chinese firms
| who fast-tracked cheap utility patents themselves with little to no review.
| Be careful what you wish for.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090826/1354186007.shtml

Strange patent filed in China: Method to boot Linux OS from mobile harddisk

,----[ Quote ]
| This is not the first time I heard about strange patents filed in China.
|
| [...]
|
| âThis invention is about the method to boot Linux OS on removable storage
| which is attached to the USB port of PC. It is implemented in a way that
| firstly, setup Linux OS in the removable storage; then enter BIOS of the PC,
| to change the boot sequence to USB-HDD or USB-ZIP first; now boot the system,
| so user can choose the Linux version, and Linux kernel with initrd will be
| loaded by bootloader from the removable storage to PC memory; then boot the
| Linux kernel, initialize system and run tasks; mount filesystem of initrd,
| then switch to root filesystem on the removable storage; detect hardware
| devices, install drivers and configure them automatically; finally, start the
| desktop session, after user has input the username and password, detect
| hardware partitions automatically and mount them.â
`----

http://www.kernel.sg/blog/2008/01/20/strange-patent-filed-in-china-method-to-boot-linux-os-from-mobile-harddisk/

Almost One Million Patent Applications in China in 2009

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://ipdragon.blogspot.com/2010/01/almost-one-million-patent-applications.html