[News] Microsoft and Austria Exclude Free Software in New Creative Ways

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft and Austria Exclude Free Software in New Creative Ways
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 21:50:32 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoftâs e-government browser in Austria: Just a good service or a play to increase market share?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and the Government of Austria
| collaborated on the Project âDigital Austria
| Explorer.â Microsoft developed a menu bar for
| the iExplorer (see below for an example).
|
| [...]
|
| Is it a problem that this service is only
| available via an exclusive platform? The
| Government of Austria argues: âWe have no
| problems when somebody approaches us with a
| good idea. Next time we will work together
| with someone else. If other browsers also
| want to offer this service, we would not say
| no.â Without any doubt, this is a good
| service and a great example of what Nick
| Vitalari talks about when he discusses the
| role of public-private ecosystems. However I
| believe that, in general, the goal of the
| government should be to use open platforms,
| even if it means investing taxpayerâs money.
`----

http://www.wikinomics.com/blog/index.php/2010/06/04/microsofts-e-government-browser-in-austria-just-a-good-service-or-a-play-to-increase-market-share/

Recent:

Open Government Data in Austria