Re: Microsoft can't pay people to use Bing

____/ High Plains Thumper on Thursday 10 Jun 2010 00:18 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper on Wednesday:

>>> The bullying continues.  We saw how the cost effective netbooks
>>> with Linux evaporated, now what is spec'd are more than netbooks
>>> and the cost exceeds what netbooks were going for.
>>>
>>> I saw a $99 ARM netbook with WinCE advertised, which means that M$
>>> must be selling the OS at less cost than Linux, which means they
>>> must be either giving the operating system away for free or paying
>>> vendors to install WinCE.  Perhaps that act is a portion of the
>>> $700M in one quarter.
>>>
>>> Yup, you are correct about taking over markets and inhibiting
>>> others.
>>
>> Ballmer even bragged about it last week.
>
> Didn't see that but it would not surprise me.  After all, the same
> threatened Singapore's and Asian governments with Microsoft intellectual
> property being violated whilst using Linux.  Here it is:
>
> [quote]
> Use Linux and you will be sued, Ballmer tells governments
> Lawsuit doom over 228 'stolen' patents predicted
>
> By John Lettice â More by this author
> Published Thursday 18th November 2004 10:34 GMT
>
> Asian governments using Linux will be sued for IP violations, Microsoft
> CEO Steve Ballmer said today in Singapore. He did not specify that
> Microsoft would be the company doing the suing, but it's difficult to
> read the claim as anything other than a declaration of IP war.
>
> According to a Reuters report (which we fervently hope will produce one
> of Ballmer's fascinating 'I was misquoted' rebuttals*), Ballmer told
> Microsoft's Asian Government Leaders Forum that Linux violates more than
> 228 patents. Come on Steve, don't hold back - what you mean 'more than
> 228' - 229? 230? Don't pull your punches to soften the blow to the
> community. "Some day," he continued, "for all countries that are
> entering the WTO [World Trade Organization], somebody will come and look
> for money owing to the rights for that intellectual property."
> [/quote]
>
> Mary Jo Foley also had mentioned the same:
>
> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/
> is_microsoft_rattling_the_linuxpatent_sabers.html?kc=
> MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/38mke3
>
> Looks like it is getting ripe again for a government to step in and
> address monopoly maintenance abuses.

Yes, the Big Baboon has Novell to use as a tool now, though.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Unisys: open source software set to have a similar impact as the Internet
 17:05:01 up 42 days,  7:34,  2 users,  load average: 0.91, 0.87, 0.97