[News] Measuring Free Software Skills; Operations Management at Oxford University Speaks About Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Measuring Free Software Skills; Operations Management at Oxford University Speaks About Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:06:11 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Can FOSS Skills Be Measured?

,----[ Quote ]
| Sure, FOSS is fun, but is it profitable? Or
| is it just a spare-time hobby? There are
| actually two sides to FOSS: FOSS as free
| and open source software for a set of tools
| and platforms; and FOSS as a methodology
| for the development of software. One cannot
| exist without the other. And the reason for
| the superiority of FOSS tools is precisely
| because they are the result of FOSS
| methodology.
|
| The FOSS software development/deployment
| methodology â a child of the Internet, and
| which is based on openness, sharing and
| collaboration â is also a powerful tool to
| develop âsoft skillsâ like the ability to
| communicate, search for and find solutions,
| and to think out-of-the-box. Over a long
| time, I have noticed that people who
| actually participate in projects following
| the FOSS methodology are eminently better
| programmers and far better at
| communicating, solving problems and
| collaborating, than people who follow the
| âclosed methodologyâ.
`----

http://www.linuxforu.com/everyone/can-foss-skills-be-measured/?

Radically Simple IT with Dr. David Upton

,----[ Quote ]
| We were extremely fortunate to have Dr. David
| Upton, chair in Operations Management at
| Oxford University, kick off our first ever
| Open Your World forum. Dr. Upton's
| presentation, entitled "Radically Simple IT
| ... or, a Strategic Argument for Open Source
| in Business" was a highly relevant and
| insightful commentary on how open source
| principles can help business leaders transform
| how they approach and engage the more
| traditional strategic planning process.
`----

http://opensource.com/business/10/6/radically-simple-it-dr-david-upton

Recent:

Conficker smites Oxford Brookes network

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/03/conficker_infects_oxford_brookes/

Oxford University goes for storage magic

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techworld.com/storage/news/index.cfm?newsID=10181&pagtype=samechan