[News] New GNU/Linux Applications and Reviews of Existing Ones

  • Subject: [News] New GNU/Linux Applications and Reviews of Existing Ones
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:18:09 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Emacs Identica-mode microblogging client v1.0 release

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâm very happy to announce the release 1.0 of
| the Emacs identica-mode microblogging client.
| Its been a while since the last release, and
| its been for a good reason!
`----

http://blog.nethazard.net/emacs-identica-mode-v1-0-release/

Tor 0.2.1.26-stable released

,----[ Quote ]
| Tor 0.2.1.26 addresses the recent connection
| and memory overload problems we've been seeing
| on relays, especially relays with their
| DirPort open. If your relay has been crashing,
| or you turned it off because it used too many
| resources, give this release a try.
`----

http://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-02126-stable-released

Zippl â a Lightweigth Presentation Tool

http://lizards.opensuse.org/2010/06/11/zippl-a-lightweigth-presentation-tool/

Giggle: A Git GUI

,----[ Quote ]
| In the roughly five years that the Git
| distributed version control system has been
| around, it has gained quite a following. But
| at its core, Git is command-line oriented,
| which doesn't necessarily suit all of its
| users. Along the way, various GUI interfaces
| to Git have been created, including two
| Tcl/Tk-based tools that come with Git. Giggle
| is a GUI front-end for Git that is based on
| GTK+, which released a 0.5 version in late
| April.
`----

https://lwn.net/Articles/390422/

Where Did Your Time Go? GNOME Time Tracker Knows

,----[ Quote ]
| Have you ever thought about how you really
| spend your time at work? If you're wondering
| where the time goes, the GNOME Time Tracker is
| a great tool to help you keep an eye on which
| activities eat up your days.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/7090/1/

Pino: Fedoraâs default social tool

,----[ Quote ]
| Where would we be today without social
| networking? I have heard many tales how a
| social tool has saved a life or joined two
| lives together. Just recently a friend of mine
| found our her son was wounded in war not by
| the Red Cross, but on Facebook. These tools
| have become an integral part of our lives.
| Because of this, they are becoming more and
| more important to the desktop operating
| system.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/06/11/pino-fedoras-default-social-tool/

SuperGrub is a Sanity Saver

,----[ Quote ]
| Thank you people at SuperGrub, you saved my
| computer.
|
| Yesterday, I wanted to update my kernel to
| 2.6.32 because the ASUS driver for sensors,
| i.e. CPU temperature etc had changed, from
| it87 to asus_atk0110.
|
| Also, I needed to update udev, but the Debian
| package manager refused to update udev with
| the current running kernel.
`----

http://gnuru.org/article/1499/supergrub-is-sanity-saver

Protecting kids online: Gnome Nanny on Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/2010/06/gnome-nanny/