[News] New Reviews of MeeGo 1.0 on Phones, Other News

  • Subject: [News] New Reviews of MeeGo 1.0 on Phones, Other News
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 15:07:01 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

MeeGo 1.0

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/software_and_services/meego/1_0/349772

Nokia's 16 model house reveals a smokin' S series, N9 MeeGo?

,----[ Quote ]
| Lovely home except for those pesky leaks. This
| Nokia house built (circa 2010) upon on a
| foundation of Symbian with a MeeGo roof is
| also sporting an interesting looking S-series
| smokestack. Most of the building blocks we've
| already seen including the flagship N8. The N9
| is almost certainly Nokia's followup to the
| N900 and Espoo's first handset to feature its
| new MeeGo OS.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/09/nokias-17-model-house-reveals-a-smokin-s-series-n9-meego/

Netbook MeeGo a NoGo - Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Now I am all for trying new distros and
| netbooks are a place where I feel Linux truly
| outshines all other operating systems, so when
| a new netbook focused distro comes to maturity
| I always like to take it for a test drive.
| MeeGo, the joint operating system between
| Nokia's Maemo and Intel's Moblin, has been
| getting alot of hype recently in the Linux
| community and the world at large. I can
| understand why, personally I was very excited
| when MeeGo was first announced. Nokia and
| Intel are both very large names that bring
| substantial financial backing to the table,
| beyond this they are also allowing the Linux
| Foundation to manage the MeeGo project.
`----

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/06/netbook-meego-nogo-review.html

Nokia clarifies Qt release roadmap, launches Qt SDK 1.0RC

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia has issued a release candidate for
| version 1.0 of the Qt SDK and has published
| some details about the release roadmap. The
| SDK will be released with Qt Creator 2.0 and
| Qt 4.6.3.
|
| Qt is an open source development toolkit that
| simplifies cross-platform application
| development. After obtaining Qt in a 2008
| acquisition of Trolltech, Nokia relicensed the
| toolkit under the LPGL so that it could be
| used to develop proprietary applications at no
| cost. Nokia has largely focused on improving
| the toolkit's suitability for rapid mobile
| development. It can be used to build
| applications that will run across all three
| major desktop operating systems and several
| mobile platforms, including Symbian and MeeGo.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/06/nokia-clarifies-qt-release-roadmap-launches-qt-sdk-10rc.ars

Recent:

MeeGo Gains Industry Momentum

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel and Nokia have released version 1.0
| of the MeeGo Core Software Platform and the
| MeeGo Netbook User Experience. This release
| provides developers with a stable core
| foundation for application development and
| a rich user experience for Netbooks.
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/e1/46874/fullnews.htm

MeeGo is coming

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/telecoms/12813-MeeGo-coming.html

MeeGo has a coming out party on the Quanta Redvale, Winstron W1 and CZC P10T tablets

,----[ Quote ]
| For those not familiar with MeeGo you better
| study up on it because it has officially
| arrived. MeeGo is the joining of two open
| source Linux operating systems â Intelâs Moblin
| and Nokiaâs Maemo â which was announced at
| Mobile World Congress earlier this year. It
| offers online and computing capability focused
| around multitasking, multimedia playback and
| strong graphics processing for a range of
| devices â not just netbooks or mobile phones.
| Up until now we havenât heard that much MeeGo
| talk, mostly just rumored rumblings, but my
| have the MeeGo gates opened.
`----

http://besttabletreview.com/meego-quanta-redvale-winstron-w1-czc-p10t-tablet/

Intel Press Release Reveals Future Plans for MeeGo

,----[ Quote ]
| MeeGo support included in "Oak Trail"
| platform, Acer committed to MeeGo on upcoming
| netbooks.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/Intel-Press-Release-Reveals-Future-Plans-for-MeeGo

Intel seeks consumers for MeeGo

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel has released more details and the
| deployment roadmap for the company's MeeGo
| operating system (OS), highlighting its
| desire for consumers to start utilizing the
| open source platform.
|
| During his keynote here Wednesday at Computex
| 2010, Peter Biddle, director of Intel's AppUp
| products and services, noted that while he is
| "no longer worried" about attracting
| developers to create content for the MeeGo
| platform, it is consumer adoption that now
| preoccupies his thoughts. "We need more
| consumers!" he declared.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/intel-seeks-consumers-for-meego-62200421.htm

MeeGo user interface coming to Acer, Asus, other Linux devices

,----[ Quote ]
| Just a few months after the MeeGo Linux
| project was formed by the merger of the Maemo
| and Moblin projects, it looks like MeeGo is
| making some pretty serious progress in the
| marketplace.
|
| The other day we reported that it looked like
| Asus was going to launch devices running
| MeeGo in 2011, and a press release issued
| today pretty much confirms it. Acer officials
| say the company palns to beat Asus to market
| with a MeeGo-based netbook before the end of
| this year.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/06/meego-user-interface-coming-to-acer-asus-other-linux-devices.html

Is it time to MeeGo?

,----[ Quote ]
| What is MeeGo in the first place? As defined
| on its website, âMeeGo is an open source,
| Linux project which brings together the
| Moblin project, headed by Intel, and Maemo,
| by Nokia, into a single open source
| activity.â The aim is to provide a Linux-
| based OS for netbooks, handheld devices,
| televisions and set-top boxes, as well as in-
| vehicle computers.
|
| I downloaded the OS image from the site and
| immediately ran it on VMWare Fusion 3.1 on my
| Macbook Pro. Giving it 1GB of RAM and a
| single core to work with, the image booted up
| but that was it -- did not display anything
| on the screen. I tried this three times with
| different configurations and nothing.
`----

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/260161/is-it-time-meego

MeeGo Brings The Magic