[News] Open Hardware Market is Growing Very Large

  • Subject: [News] Open Hardware Market is Growing Very Large
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:28:53 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open source hardware worth $1billion by 2015

,----[ Quote ]
| The market for open source hardware is hotting
| up, with the top 13 companies in the space
| turning over nearly $50million last year â
| according to Phil Torrone, designer at Adafruit
| industries. Speaking with Adafruitâs founder
| Limor Fried at the OâReilly Foo Camp East in the
| beginning of May, Torrone also claimed that
| there are now nearly 300 significant open source
| hardware projects in development and predicted
| that the market will grow to over $1billion by
| 2015.
`----

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/news/open-source-hardware-worth-1billion-by-2015/

The project is open source, so stay tuned for the specs!

http://inhabitat.com/2010/06/08/open-source-printer-made-from-legos-and-a-felt-tip-pen/

BeagleBoard Gives New Power to Open Source Gadgets

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source hardware hobbyists now have a
| chipset to play with thatâs comparable to the
| powerful processors found in smartphones such as
| the Nexus One or HTC Incredible.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/beagleboard/

Recent:

xkcdâs Tiniest Open-Source Violin IRL

http://www.geekosystem.com/tiniest-open-source-violin-xkcd/

Qbo open source robot gets YouTube channel

,----[ Quote ]
| Is getting your very own YouTube channel a
| measure of success these days? It doesn't
| really matter for a robot that has no
| emotions, although that does not rule them out
| from getting their own channels either - case
| in point, the Qbo open source robotics project
| that comes with their very own YouTube channel
| you see above, depicting the stereo camera
| calibration method for the curious.
`----

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/06/qbo_open_source_robot_gets_youtube_channel.html

Qi Hardware Launches Open-Source Computer

,----[ Quote ]