[News] Apple is Falling Behind Linux in Phones, Gets Fragmented

  • Subject: [News] Apple is Falling Behind Linux in Phones, Gets Fragmented
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:36:57 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

iPhone Now as Fragmented as Android

,----[ Quote ]
| At Transpond, when we were building apps on
| the iPhone and Android platforms last year,
| all of our engineers were enamored with the
| iPhone and annoyed with the pesky Android
| devices.
|
| The iPhone environment was remarkably
| consistent. There was a single 480Ã320 screen
| resolution and API consistency across iPhone,
| iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS. Even though the
| original iPhone doesnât have GPS, it provided
| an approximation based on cell towers, and our
| customers like CBS and NBC are more interested
| in syndicating video and engaging users, so we
| did not need the 3D graphics of the newer
| generation iPhones. All in all, the iPhone
| platform presented a clean, wonderful
| experience for our engineers where they could
| write one piece of code and it would run
| beautifully on all of the iPhone and iPod
| Touch devices.
`----

http://peteryared.blogspot.com/2010/06/iphone-now-as-fragmented-as-android.html

With Safari 5, Apple plugs four dozen holes

,----[ Quote ]
| Safari 5 for Windows and Mac debuted on
| Monday. The impact on security issues is
| detailed in this advisory, which applies to
| Safari 5.0 and Safari 4.1.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20007126-245.html

Apple Continues Its Exclusive Ways (NASDAQ: GOOG, AAPL)

,----[ Quote ]
| To summarize, developers can only use iAd to
| collect information from iPhone and iPad users
| and may only use this gathered information
| with companies that are too small to compete
| with Apple, thus rendering all of the big
| players attempting to gain market share in the
| space inoperable.
`----

http://www.worldmarketmedia.com/779/section.aspx/1785/post/apple-continues-its-exclusive-ways-nasdaq-goog-aapl

Do the feds have a case against Apple?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Financial Times on Thursday said that two
| sources close to the situation have "taken an
| interest" in Apple's actions on Monday. Which
| agency would be charged with looking into it,
| isn't yet clear: either the Federal Trade
| Commission or the Department of Justice. But
| the FTC just spent months looking at the
| mobile-ad market from all angles for the
| recently closed Google/AdMob acquisition case,
| so the FTC would make sense.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20007368-260.html

Recent:

In FOSS Does "F" Have To Stand For Fabulous To Make Apple The Next Sun
Microsystems? It's All About The User Experience

,----[ Quote ]
| I do agree with Zemlin that "F" in FOSS has to stand
| for Free and Fabulous to really beat Apple. But the
| fabulous is not about shared development, it is all
| about as Zemlin said, customer experience. The mobile
| platform is not going to be dominated by Geeks who
| work at command lines juiced up on pizza and high
| caffeine cola.  It is about the interface and user
| experience.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/foss-does-f-have-stand-fabulous-make-apple-ne

Some Liars Are More Skillful Than Others

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe the problem is not Apple and M$ so much as the
| leadership not respecting the public enough to tell
| the truth. They are just ordinary businesses pushing
| product. They are not magical and do not defy the laws
| of Nature. They are not singular sources of creativity
| on the planet. They do not have all the answers and,
| in particular, do not always know and tell the truth.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/06/09/some-liars-are-more-skillful-than-others/

Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal

,----[ Quote ]