[News] Openness and Sharing Increase in Government and Other Areas

  • Subject: [News] Openness and Sharing Increase in Government and Other Areas
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 06:11:37 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

More than 6,500 comment on coalition policies online

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10288313.stm

Evening Standard almost in profit after going free

,----[ Quote ]
| It seemed barely credible that London's
| evening paper would succeed as a giveaway. But
| the power of old-fashioned print advertising
| revenue has moved it to the brink of
| profitability
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/jun/13/peter-preston-evening-standard-free

How does âpublic serviceâ work for media and culture in the 21st century?

,----[ Quote ]
| With digital technology and internet
| distribution, we are all producers. The
| outputs of our diverse cultural institutions
| are converging in the digital domain.  Public
| funding policy needs to be reformed and
| converged to match.
`----

http://jeremy1.wordpress.com/2010/06/13/how-does-%E2%80%9Cpublic-service%E2%80%9D-work-for-media-and-culture-in-the-21st-century/

Should the U.S. support Internet freedom through technology?

http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/06/should-the-us-support-internet.html

How Open Web Developers Are Trying to Make Social Media Better for You, the User

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, a new open protocol called
| OExchange was released with the aim of
| simplifying sharing. Right out of the door, it
| had names like Google, Microsoft, and LinkedIn
| signed on. WebProNews spoke with Google's Open
| Web advocate, Chris Messina about how the
| protocol could benefit businesses and site
| owners.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2010/06/10/how-open-web-developers-are-trying-to-make-social-media-better-for-you-the-user

Abundance Obsoletes Peer Review, so Drop It

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently, I had the pleasure of finally
| meeting Cameron Neylon, probably the leading -
| and certainly most articulate - exponent of
| open science. Talking with him about peer
| review helped crystallise something that I
| have been trying to articulate: why peer
| review should go.
|
| [...]
|
| For me what's particularly interesting is the
| fact that peer review is unnecessary for the
| same reason that copyright and patents are
| unnecessary nowadays: because the Internet
| liberates creativity massively and provides a
| means for bringing that flood to a wider
| audience without the need for official
| gatekeepers to bless and control it.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/06/abundance-obsoletes-peer-review-so-drop.html

Free Wi-Fi is Just a Small Part of Starbucks' Plan: Free Access to Paid Content Coming Fall 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| Starting July 1st, Starbucks will finally
| begin  to offer free and unrestricted Internet
| access over Wi-Fi in its stores. Starbucks CEO
| Howard Schultz made this announced at Wired's
| Disruptive by Design conference today. With
| this, Starbucks finally joins the ranks of
| neighborhood coffee stores all over the world
| that have long offered free and easy access to
| Wi-Fi. By Fall 2010, Starbucks also plans to
| give Internet users in its stores free access
| to paid sites, including the Wall Street
| Journal.
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/starbucks_wifi_free_access_to_paid_content_wsj.php

Wikipedia to Loosen Controls Tonight