[News] [Rival] Microsoft Uses Scare Campaign to Promote Its Agenda

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Uses Scare Campaign to Promote Its Agenda
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 07:26:37 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft Launches Misleading Scare Campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| The new TV campaign was launched last week but
| appears to have come to our screens in full
| force this weekend when Microsoft flooded
| virtually all major cable channels ranging
| from locals sports broadcasts to the Food
| channel with what the company euphemistically
| calls a âconfidenceâ campaign. To us, it looks
| like a scare drive to convince people to
| download IE8.
`----

http://www.conceivablytech.com/1260/business/microsoft-launches-misleading-scare-campaign/

Employing old-fashioned fear tactics in the latest IE8 TV ads

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2010/06/employing_old-fashioned_fear_tactics_in_the_latest_ie8_tv_ads.html

Scaring computer owners is big business

,----[ Quote ]
| U.S. software giant Microsoft said the number
| of anti-virus protection scams for computers
| grew in the second half of 2009.
|
| Microsoft measures the scams by the number of
| times computer owners used its free Malicious
| Software Removal Tool.
|
| Microsoft's program wipes out what is known as
| "scareware" -- pop-up ads that scare users
| into purchasing fake anti-virus software, USA
| Today reported Monday.
|
| Microsoft said its anti-scareware program had
| been used to clean 7.8 million computers July
| 2009 through December 2009. From January 2009
| through June 2009, the program cleaned 5.3
| million computers.
`----

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2010/06/07/Scaring-computer-owners-is-big-business/UPI-95541275921874/

Related:

Apple, Siemens and Sisvel patent infringement leads to CeBIT booth raid

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/07/apple-siemens-and-sisvel-patent-infringement-leads-to-cebit-boo/