[News] Latest Victories for "Open Data" Movement

  • Subject: [News] Latest Victories for "Open Data" Movement
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:54:14 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Data: Climate Change research and Chemoinformatics

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=2466

Open Data is necessary but not sufficient

,----[ Quote ]
| John Wilbanks is Director of Science
| Commons and a co-author of the Panton
| Principles. He has responded to my
| concerns about access to climate change
| data, with the observation that Open data
| is not the major problem or solution. Iâll
| comment at the bottom. I agree with what
| he says, but I will argue why there is a
| role for Open Knowledge in this issue.
`----

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=2456

Exoplanet Hunterâs First Data Withholds the Good Stuff

,----[ Quote ]
| Without all the data in hand, itâs hard to
| answer the question that Kepler was built
| to answer: How common are planets like
| Earth? Though we now know hundreds of
| exoplanets, most of them are big, hot
| Jupiters around very bright stars that
| could not sustain any kind of life that we
| recognize. Itâs easy to detect the bigger
| planets that orbit close to their stars
| because their gravity makes the star
| âwobbleâ more noticeably and their size
| dims its light more. So, the data weâve
| collected on extrasolar planets over the
| last two decades is muddied by observation
| bias.
`----

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/06/first-kepler-data/

Recent:

Open Data in Climate Research?

,----[ Quote ]
| As a result of the presentations and the
| discussions within the panel it seemed to me
| that there was a serious lack of Openness in
| the Climate Research community. It is
| important not to judge from just one meeting
| but given the enormous public reporting and
| discussion I was disappointed to find that
| there were still parochial and entrenched
| attitudes about ownership and use of data.
`----

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=2449

Boost for London's Software Developer Community and SME's as TfL lifts all restrictions on commercial reuse of its data

http://data.london.gov.uk/blog/boost-londons-software-developer-community-and-smes-tfl-lifts-all-restrictions-commercial-reuse

Right to Government Dataâ unless itâs been outsourced

,----[ Quote ]
| The UKâs coalition government has followed up
| on its promises of a general Right To Public
| Data, with sweeping and fast-moving measures
| to open up whole sectors of public sector
| information, from the salaries of senior civil
| servants to spending by local councils.
`----

http://countculture.wordpress.com/2010/06/15/right-to-data-unless-its-been-outsourced/

Launch of it.ckan.net for open data in Italy!

,----[ Quote ]
| The following guest post is by Stefano Costa
| and Federico Morando. Stefano Costa is a
| researcher at the University of Siena and
| Coordinator of the OKFâs Working Group on Open
| Data in Archaeology. Federico Morando is
| Managing Director & Research Fellow at the
| NEXA Center for Internet & Society and a
| member of the Working Group on EU Open Data.
`----

http://blog.okfn.org/2010/06/14/launch-of-itckannet-for-open-data-in-italy/

Peer review provides Â209,976,000 public subsidy to commercial publishers

,----[ Quote ]

| The Open University's Martin Weller looks at
| the Peer Review Survey 2009's numbers on free
| participation by UK academics in the peer
| review process for commercial science journals
| and concludes that 10.4m hours spent on this
| amounts to a Â209,976,000 subsidy from
| publicly funded universities to private, for-
| profit journals, who then charge small
| fortunes to the same institutions for access
| to the journals.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/06/13/peer-review-provides.html

OCWSearch Launches API, Indexes OpenCourseWare from Ten Major Universities

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/ocwsearch_launches_api_indexes_opencourseware_from.php