[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Phones Business is Lost and Fragmented (Linux Takes Lead)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Phones Business is Lost and Fragmented (Linux Takes Lead)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 14:50:43 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Windows Phone 7: When?

,----[ Quote ]
| The long delay in releasing mobile phones
| running Windows Phone 7 is damaging
| Microsoft's mobile opportunity.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/software/13110-Windows-Phone-When.html

Microsoft rolls out yet another mobile OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, ZDNet's  Mary-Jo Foley noted that
| Microsoft now offered at least six different
| (and confusing) operating systems for mobile
| phones and devices.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-features/50257-microsoft-rolls-out-yet-another-mobile-os

Microsoft Mobile Strategy â Clear as mud?

,----[ Quote ]
| So weâve moved on from Windows Mobile and
| today we are consuming Apple and Android
| based phones with a veracious demand,
| equalled only by the amount of applications
| developed for the platforms.  I think that
| the key to a successful mobile product it
| todays market is a diverse catalogue of 3rd
| party apps and (at least) perceived complete
| customization and personalization of the
| phone for the consumer.  Todays world seems
| to have (in many cases) the mobile phone
| being a creative expression of its owner, be
| it ringtones, wallpapers or anything else.
| The article on the Kin posed the question
| that firstly a phone allegedly designed for
| a social generation seemed to lack some key
| features, but also to me the personalization
| of what was touted as being a âsocial phoneâ
| was not part of its feature.  The Kin also
| brought up the issue that it was another OS
| that Microsoft had developed for the market
| and it doesnât appear to offer support for
| either the upcoming new Windows mobile
| platform nor the older version either.
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2010/06/18/microsoft-mobile-strategy-clear-as-mud/

Recent:

Microsoft says no to mobile porn

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/50186-microsoft-says-no-to-mobile-porn

Wandering eyes: Windows Mobile users show lack of commitment

,----[ Quote ]
| A Nielsen Co. study about mobile phone usage
| got lots of attention over the weekend for its
| insights into the battle between Apple's
| iPhone and Google's Android. But the report
| also includes some interesting data about the
| rest of the smartphone market. And once again,
| the news isn't good for Microsoft's mobile
| business.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2010/06/wandering_eyes_windows_mobile_users_ogle_competing_phones.html

2010 iPhone and Android Users: How loyal are you?

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/06/06/2010-iphone-and-android-users-how-loyal-are-you/

Apple and Google square off over smartphone supremacy

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2010-06-07-apple07_CV_N.htm

Microsoft KIN Phones Prices Slash Coming Due to Poor Sales?

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2010/06/11/microsoft-kin-phones-prices-slash-coming-due-to-poor-sales/

Malware Hidden in Windows Mobile Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| Attackers are targeting devices running
| Windows Mobile with malware hidden inside
| mobile apps. Users with infected phones could
| end up with hundreds of dollars' worth of
| unauthorized charges to overseas numbers,
| warns security company Lookout.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Malware-Hidden-in-Windows-Mobile-Applications-424076/

No Nimbuzz for Windows Mobile starting July 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Nimbuzz has announced that it would no longer be developing its IM client for Windows Mobile based devices.
`----

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/No_Nimbuzz_for_Windows_Mobile_starting_July_1/551-111588-580.html

Time to tackle mobile malware before history repeats itself

,----[ Quote ]
| F-Secure's latest Internet and mobile security review painted a gloomy
| picture of online criminals able to generate ample funds from their
| exploits to invest in ever more sophisticated tools with which to
| perpetrate their crimes.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13298&Itemid=1054

Skype drops Windows Phone 7 support