[News] Patent Failures: Genes, Software, and Troll Control (Hypothetical)

  • Subject: [News] Patent Failures: Genes, Software, and Troll Control (Hypothetical)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 21:47:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Myriad Gene Patent Litigation Goes Down Under

,----[ Quote ]
| On Tuesday, June 9, 2010, several
| plaintiffs, including a breast cancer
| patient and a cancer advocacy group, sued
| in a Sydney, Australia federal court to
| invalidate Myriad Geneticsâ patents on the
| breast cancer susceptibility genes BRCA-1
| and 2. According to published reports and
| comments by Australian patent law experts,
| the suit substantially tracks the much-
| publicized one filed in New York by the
| American Civil Liberties Union. In
| particular, this suit is also a frontal
| attack on the Myriad patents, seeking a
| judgment that genes in isolation from the
| body are products of nature and thus not
| patentable inventions.
|
| The factual background in Australia seems
| a bit different. Myriad has granted an
| exclusive license to perform BRCA gene
| tests to a Melbourne company called
| Genetic Technologies Limited, which is a
| co-defendant in the case. But GTL has been
| reported to have âgiftedâ its patent
| rights to health care institutions, and
| not to charge royalties. Nonetheless, the
| plaintiffsâ lawyers have expressed concern
| about the possibility of GLT exploiting
| their monopoly as in the U.S., where the
| tests cost over $3,000. They note that on
| two earlier occasions GLT sent letters to
| hospitals telling them to stop testing. A
| number of Australian sources have also
| worried aloud about the implications of
| the patents for medical research.
`----

http://www.genomicslawreport.com/index.php/2010/06/21/myriad-litigation-goes-down-under/

Patently Important

,----[ Quote ]
| The US Patent Office has been flooded with
| software patents ever since.
`----

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424052970203296004575314402596370046.html

N-Play(R)'s Patented Technology Featured in the 'Start-Up Alley' at Real Estate Connect SF Presented by Inman News

,----[ Quote ]
| The fundamental business methods and
| processes unique to N-Play(R) led the U.S.
| Patent and Trademark Office to recently
| issue U.S. Patent #7,664,682. Business
| method software patents are considered a
| rarity and are the most difficult patents
| to obtain through the USPTO with less than
| 17% being approved.
`----

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/n-playrs-patented-technology-featured-in-the-start-up-alley-at-real-estate-connect-sf-presented-by-inman-news-96644349.html

SYSTEM and METHOD for TROLL CONTROL