[News] Why Those Who Want Freedom Should Follow the FSF

  • Subject: [News] Why Those Who Want Freedom Should Follow the FSF
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 21:50:44 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The FSF is needed now - more than ever

,----[ Quote ]
| When would one expect an organisation like
| the Free Software Foundation to be really
| relevant to the world of computing at large -
| when there is a limited threat to freedom in
| computing or when the threat is increasing
| exponentially?
|
| One would think that in the latter case, the
| need for an organisation like the FSF would
| be that much greater. But some people think
| differently. People like Joe "Zonker"
| Brockmeier, for example.
|
| Last week, Brockmeier put forward his views -
| the FSF should not just say no to the use of
| non-free software, things like SaaS (software
| as a service) and devices like the iPad, it
| should provide alternatives, was his take.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/open-sauce/39881-the-fsf-is-needed-now-more-than-ever

Recent:

Joe Brockmeier Has a Bad Day

,----[ Quote ]
| He declares the campaigning of the Free
| Software Foundation for Free Software is
| negative and must change.
|
| Talk about a narrow point of view. The FSF
| must advocate for Free Software. That is its
| purpose. There is nothing negative about
| requiring software to be able to be run,
| examined, modified and distributed under a
| global and popular licence. There is a
| battle raging with the forces who would take
| freedom away. It is necessary to have
| sentries guarding the boundaries. It is
| necessary to have leaders rally the troops.
|
| Brockmeier would have us believe that open
| source is good enough, or something. It is
| not clear what he wants. I see FLOSS as
| widely accepted and growing constantly in
| share of usage. What does he see?
| Negativity!
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/06/17/joe-brockmeier-has-a-bad-day/

Shooting The Messenger

,----[ Quote ]
| There's been another round of criticism on
| various blogs of the FSF's media campaigns
| to draw people's attention to the harm that
| not respecting software users freedom does.
| But the FSF's campaigns explaining why
| Microsoft and Apple's failure to respect
| users freedom is harmful have been
| successful in getting out the message that
| alternatives are needed. In the mainstream
| press as well as in the tech and tech
| culture media.
|
| The FSF's critics are ignoring the fact that
| most of the FSF's work consists not only of
| the positive promotion of the idea of free
| software, but in practically supporting and
| protecting its creation and use.
`----

http://robmyers.org/weblog/2010/06/shooting-the-messenger.html

More Anti-Free Software Spin