[News] [Rival] Microsoft Sabotages Users' OS to Promote Its Propaganda Engine

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Sabotages Users' OS to Promote Its Propaganda Engine
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 22:11:23 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

'Bug' Sneaks Stealth Download into Microsoft Security Patch

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has bundled a Bing toolbar add-on
| along with its Patch Tuesday security update.
|
| The download adds the Bing toolbar to the
| Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox web
| browsers of certain users without their
| permission.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft told tech news site The Register
| that the stealth toolbar installation was the
| result of a bug in the update, and that the
| problem has since been taken care of.
`----

http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2010/6/14/bug-sneaks-stealth-download-microsoft-security-patch/

Recent:

MSNBOT must die!

,----[ Quote ]
| If you've suffered any problems accessing any
| of the sites, the databases, the CPAN mirror,
| etc from the CPAN Testers server last night,
| please direct your wrath at Microsoft. Last
| night the msnbot took out the CPAN Testers
| server with a dedicated denial of service
| attack. As a consequence measures are now
| being put in place to completely ban the
| msnbot from accessing at least the Reports
| site, and probably all the sites on the
| server.
|
| Microsoft in their incompetent wisdom decided
| to unleash 20-30 bots every few seconds. I
| know this because I can see the IP addresses
| in the logs. The ones spotted within a few
| minutes of rebooting the server this morning
| to clear the processes were
`----

http://blogs.perl.org/users/cpan_testers/2010/01/msnbot-must-die.html

Bing search site suffers outage

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has apologised for a brief outage
| which saw its search site Bing disappear from
| the internet.
|
| The outage lasted for nearly 30 minutes
| between in the early hours of 3 December. At
| that time anyone visiting the site got an
| error message.

Boycott Microsoft Bing

,----[ Quote ]
| If you search a term on Bing that is
| politically sensitive in China, in English
| the results are legitimate. Search
| âTiananmenâ and youâll find out about the
| army firing on pro-democracy protesters in
| 1989. Search Dalai Lama, Falun Gong and you
| also get credible results. Conduct the
| search in complex Chinese characters (the
| kind used in Taiwan and Hong Kong) and on
| the whole you still get authentic results.
|
| But conduct the search with the simplified
| characters used in mainland China, then you
| get sanitized pro-Communist results. This is
| especially true of image searches. Magic! No
| Tiananmen Square massacre. The Dalai Lama
| becomes an oppressor. Falun Gong believers
| are villains, not victims.
`----

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/20/boycott-microsoft-bing/

NYT's Kristof: Boycott Bing

,----[ Quote ]
| Kristof's objection, outlined in a blog post
| this afternoon, centers around his
| observation that searches conducted using
| simplified Chinese characters in Bing return
| "sanitized pro-Communist results" not just
| in China but around the world. He questions
| Microsoft's claim that the results are
| determined by search algorithms, not its
| corporate policy. Here's an excerpt from his
| post.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2009/11/nyts_kristof_calls_for_bing_boycott.html

Bing Search Tainted by Pro-Microsoft Results

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://advice.cio.com/shane_oneill/bing_search_tainted_by_pro_microsoft_results