[News] Group of Volunteers Equips Hundreds With GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Group of Volunteers Equips Hundreds With GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:51:53 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Putting Technology into the Hands of Tomorrow....Today

,----[ Quote ]
| Skip Guenter is a Director for The HeliOS
| Project so one would expect him to put in a
| little extra effort but Skip passed "a little
| extra" sometime in early May.  Skip worked
| dozens of his own hours to get equipment
| running, computers operational and things
| organized for the technical side of the room.
| I also want to thank Ron West for his
| dedication to what we do and the sweat equity
| he put into Linux Against Poverty.  What many
| people did not see was the pre-activities
| prior to LAP.
`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2010/06/putting-technology-into-hands-of.html

Another One Bites the Dust

,----[ Quote ]
| The machine is a middle to low end machine
| from a few years back (2001?): AMD Athlon XP
| 1800 (1.5gHz). 256 MB DDR266, 40 MB Hard
| Drive.
|
| [...]
|
| I installed a raft of games, vlc, xawtv,
| sound-juicer, childsplay, gcompris, ktouch and
| google-chrome as well as the default stuff for
| an XFCE4 desktop. A webcam from Logitech
| worked and I left a self-portrait on the
| desktopâ I expect the owner will change that
| quickly.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/06/23/another-one-bites-the-dust/

"It's easier for our software to compete with Linux when there's piracy
than when there's not."

                   --Bill Gates

Recent:

A standard Windows desktop is useless