[News] Ballnux Put on HP Machines, OpenBallnux Takes Step Away From Novell

  • Subject: [News] Ballnux Put on HP Machines, OpenBallnux Takes Step Away From Novell
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:59:11 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

HP spins a netbook just for schools

,----[ Quote ]
| HP announced a netbook for students that
| includes a metal-hinged case, carrying handle,
| and worldwide V.92 modem. Available in bulk
| orders only, the Mini 100e includes a 10.1-
| inch display, customizable case, network
| activity light, and a 1.66GHz Atom N455
| processor with DDR3 RAM, the company says.
|
| [...]
|
| Customization also extends to the Mini 100e's
| operating system: In addition to Windows 7
| Starter Edition, the device will be offered
| with SuSE Linux Enterprise 11 and Windows XP
| Home Edition, HP says.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/HP-Mini-100e-Education-Edition/

HP Announces Mini 100e Education Edition Netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| The little netbook has a 10.1-inch screen
| and weighs 3.19 pounds. The display is LED
| backlit and has a WSVGA display and the
| keyboard is 92% full size. The little rig
| will be offered with Windows 7 Starter, XP
| Home, and SuSE Linux OSâ.
`----

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/hp-announces-mini-100e-education-edition-netbook-2010-05-23/

HP launches Mini 100e netbook for students

,----[ Quote ]
| Interestingly, a pre-release version of this
| netbook was on view at Computex earlier this
| month at the Novell booth. At the time, I
| assuemd it was a Classmate PC, but looking
| closer, it becomes clear that the design is
| similar but not identical to computers based
| on Intelâs reference design.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/06/hp-launches-mini-100e-netbook-for-education-market.html

openSUSE Linux seeks own direction, more autonomy from Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| The developers behind openSUSE are drafting
| a new "community statement" as part of a
| broader effort to define a technical
| strategy for their project. The purpose of
| the community statement is to describe the
| kind of collaborative environment that the
| project wants to create as it refines its
| technical focus.
|
| [...]
|
| The challenges are not insurmountable,
| however, and a foundation would definitely
| open the door for other vendors to take a
| more active role. Novell's Michael LÃffler
| wrote a blog entry last year in which he
| described the reasons why an openSUSE
| foundation would be desirable. He makes a
| case that openSUSE would benefit from having
| a vendor-neutral organization to encourage
| contributions from other companies besides
| Novell.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/06/opensuse-project-seeks-feedback-on-strategy-drafts.ars

KMailâs Akonadi migration in openSUSE