[News] Large-scale Comparisons of GNU/Linux Distributions

  • Subject: [News] Large-scale Comparisons of GNU/Linux Distributions
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:54:33 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

A Five-Way Linux Distribution Comparison In 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| With many Linux distributions receiving
| major updates in recent weeks and months we
| have carried out a five-way Linux
| distribution comparison of openSUSE, Ubuntu,
| Fedora, PCLinuxOS, and Arch Linux. We have
| quite a number of tests comparing the 32-bit
| performance of these popular Linux
| distributions on older PC hardware.
|
| Our test system was a Lenovo ThinkPad T60
| notebook with an Intel Core Duo T2400
| (1.83GHz dual-core) CPU, 1GB of system
| memory, an 80GB Hitachi HTS541080G9SA00 SATA
| HDD, and ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 graphics.
| Below are some of the key software
| components for the different distributions
| that were tested in this article.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2010_fiveway&num=1

The Reg Guide to Linux, part 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux has changed almost beyond recognition
| since version 1.0 in 1994 and Ubuntu is about
| as polished and professional as it gets. It's
| approaching the level of polish of Mac OS X,
| is faster and easier to install than Windows,
| includes a whole suite of apps and offers tens
| of thousands more, runs on cheap commodity
| hardware and costs nothing.
|
| Nobody knows quite how many Ubuntu users there
| are - it's not sold or licensed, there's no
| registration process and it doesn't "phone
| home" and identify itself, so it's hard to
| tell. Its creators reckon around 12 million,
| but then, the number-two distro on
| Distrowatch, Fedora, claims about twice as
| many.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/24/reg_linux_guide_3/

Recent:

Comparison: Best 2010 Linux desktop for begginers

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://cristalinux.blogspot.com/2010/06/comparison-best-2010-linux-desktop-for.html