Re: Reasons for Choosing Ubuntu GNU/Linux and More

____/ Rex Ballard on Friday 25 Jun 2010 16:16 : \____

> On Jun 25, 8:46 am, Moshe <goldee_loxnbag...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:43:37 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
>> wrote:
>
>> > Why did I choose to use Ubuntu
>
> Yes, Moshe, these are great reasons for giving up Windows.
>
>> I dunno, but here are my guesses:
>> 1. Stupidity
> Yep - Microsoft does try to keep people very stupid.  Most people
> don't even read the End User License Agreement, and even those who do
> can't interpret it correctly.  The "Plain English" license lets you
> think it means what you want it to mean, but if you know what it
> really meant, you would never agree to the license terms.
>
>> 2. Herd mentality (Ubuntu = Linux, we all "know"that).
> Yep - Microsoft uses everything from yapping dogs (bloggers) to cattle
> prods (legal threats and lawsuits) to make sure that that their
> "sheep" don't stray.  Microsoft spends $billions in advertising, legal
> fees, settlements, and penalties - to legally and illegally prevent
> the display of any major competitor's product - especially Linux - on
> retailer shelves.  Microsoft has shown that "Crime does pay" - in
> fact, it can be very profitable.  It's now the lesson being taught to
> executives in the Oil industry, the Banking industry, and the health
> care industry.  Executives are now expected to decide which crimes can
> be settled for less than the amount of revenue and profit generated
> from the illegal activity.
>
>> 3. A love of pain.
> Yes, the pain of Windows crashing, the pain of applications crashing,
> getting infected by a virus, numerous long pauses where the screen
> just locks up, and the pain of having to copy-paste content from one
> application to another - manually.
>
>> 4. Too much time on your hands.
> Yes, Linux does make you so much more productive that you do have a
> bit more time for the things you really enjoy.  After all, it's so
> easy to script those repetitive tasks, set up cron jobs, and be able
> to store information in formats that make them accessible to multiple
> applications - because they adhere to publicly documented and publicly
> available at no charge - standards.
>
>> 5. Your time has no value.
> When you use Windows, you are expected to make up lost productivity
> caused by Windows failures, virus infections, malware, information
> overload, and upgrades - using unpaid overtime.  You are also expected
> to do more business travel, to drive to where the Windows computers
> are, and to meet face-to-face more often - all of which is generally
> "on your own time".
>
> With Linux, you can use your Linux PC to remotely access Linux and
> Unix servers, manage them securely.  You have superior collaboration
> tools, you have servers built into your desktop, and you can share
> screens using a number of different sharing technologies.  As a
> result, you can work from home, work from a local office, have to do
> [...]

Microsoft still hasn't found a legitimate way of discrediting Linux. Even
their internal presentations on the subject (see Comes vs Microsoft)
are pathetic.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Being a social outcast helps you stay concentrated on the really important
things, like thinking and hacking. -- Eric Raymond
Mem:   2075800k total,  1660792k used,   415008k free,    12460k buffers