[News] New GNU/Linux Applications Released, Reviewed, Introduced

  • Subject: [News] New GNU/Linux Applications Released, Reviewed, Introduced
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 18:34:23 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

NetUP IPTV 1.6 has been released

,----[ Quote ]
| NetUP have released a new version of IPTV
| Complex, an interactive TV software bundle.
| It introduces new graphic interface
| featuring a number of improvements both in
| design and on technical level.
`----

http://www.netup.tv/en-EN/iptv_news.php?news=214

GUI For GoogleCL Script 0.1

http://www.linuxnov.com/gui-for-googlecl-script-0-1/

VLC 1.1.0 for Linux â Complete Review

,----[ Quote ]
| As always, VideoLAN has come up with
| interesting tweaks, updates and
| enhancements to its all popular VLC media
| player with the release of version 1.1.0.
`----

http://www.linuxadda.com/2010/06/vlc-1-1-0-for-linux-complete-review.html

9 Top Alternative Linux Music Players

,----[ Quote ]
| Reinventing the wheel is sometimes viewed
| as a significant barrier to the development
| of open source software. Critics point out
| that if developers simply collaborated more
| with each other, instead of creating yet
| another Linux distribution or programming
| another text editor, this would help to
| simplify matters for users, and actually
| significantly advance the development of
| established open source projects.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/2010062416355511/AlternativeMusicPlayers.html

Become a typeface pro with Fontmatrix

,----[ Quote ]
| Casual computer users often give little
| thought to fonts, but once you starting
| working on design â from your web site to
| your stationary needs, you soon begin to
| appreciate the positive effects a good
| typeface can have on branding and
| marketing. The trouble comes when you start
| to collect more fonts on your system than
| you can keep track of in your head. Worse
| yet, most operating systems attempt to
| manage fonts for you in an all-or-nothing
| fashion, through which large collections
| can slow down application speed, in
| addition to being tiresome to scroll
| through. The solution is a good font
| manager, like the open source Fontmatrix.
`----

http://blog.worldlabel.com/2010/become-a-typeface-pro-with-fontmatrix.html

Make the most of your tablet with My Paint

,----[ Quote ]
| If you use Linux, have a tablet (or a
| pen/tablet addon), and want a graphics tool
| designed specifically for that device, you
| need to take a look at My Paint. My Paint
| was designed to be used with these tools to
| keep the interface out of the way (unlike
| The GIIMP) and offer a collection of
| brushes unlike any other graphics
| application. It supports features specific
| to tablets such as pressure sensitivity and
| tools geared toward artists like charcoal
| and ink brushes, various smudges, and
| blends.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/06/25/make-the-most-of-your-tablet-with-my-paint/

Compiz 0.9 and GCC 4.5

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that several uses of git master
| and distributions with GCC/G++ 4.5, such as
| openSUSE 11.3 and Arch Linux are
| experiencing random crashes when loading or
| unloading plugins. We think(*) this is a
| bug in GCC/G++ and I am currently drafting
| a testcase to confirm this and also a
| workaround for the bug. At the moment, in
| order to avoid this crash, you will need to
| use an older version of GCC/G++, such as
| GCC 4.4.3. For Arch Linux you can get this
| from the AUR with âyaourt gcc4â, selection
| 6, and I would imagine a package is
| available for openSUSE. When compiling,
| press âtâ in ccmake to get advanced options
| and change the compiler executable paths to
| your older compiler.
`----

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2010/06/25/compiz-0-9-and-gcc-4-5/

Almanah â Application to ease management of a personal diary

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/almanah-application-to-ease-management-of-a-personal-diary.html

Bijk review

,----[ Quote ]
| Verdict: 4/5
| Considering what it offers â a great user
| interface, up-to-date monitoring data,
| email and SMS alerts â Bijk is a very good
| option. On top of that, itâs free. The only
| thing weâd really like to see is some more
| customisability to the interface.
`----

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/reviews/bijk/

Finding Evernote Replacements for Linux