[News] [Rival] Behind Apple's Multi-Billion-Dollar Marketing There's a Mediocre Toy

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Behind Apple's Multi-Billion-Dollar Marketing There's a Mediocre Toy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:57:51 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

"Hold different."

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4kj99fHbi1qa4ksgo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1277563343&Signature=xJqefzwke35SrBbvFvrfF8eEdZU%3D

Apple responds to iPhone 4 reception issues: you're holding the phone the wrong way

,----[ Quote ]
| So, we just spoke with Apple and got the
| straight dirt on the reception issues that
| have been plaguing users today... and it's
| a little surprising. In essence, Apple cops
| to the fact there are reception issues with
| the new iPhone -- namely, that if you cover
| the bottom-left corner of the phone and
| bridge the gap between the notch there with
| your naked flesh, you could see some signal
| degradation. Yes, you read that right: it's
| not a software or production issue, simply
| a matter of the physical location of your
| hand in regards to the phone's antenna. The
| company's suggested fix? Move your hand
| position, or get a case which covers that
| part of the phone, thus breaking contact.
| As you can see in the email above which
| just arrived in our tip box, this is a
| sentiment which runs pretty high at the
| company.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/apple-responds-over-iphone-4-reception-issues-youre-holding-th/

Apple issues advice to avoid iPhone flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has released official advice for
| iPhone 4 owners to overcome the problem of
| the device losing signal when held by the
| lower left corner.

Lefties: beware iPhone 4 reception problem

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/06/new-iphone-4-antenna-causing-potential-reception-issues.ars

Fisher Price...

Serious users go with Linux.

Recent:

Improvements to Be Seen in the Wish List of Motorola Droid

,----[ Quote ]
| The Motorola Droid has never been an
| âiPhone killer,â but still one can regard
| it as a good alternative to the iPhone for
| Verizon customers.
|
| But one should admit that the Droid was
| never a perfect handset. As Motorola is
| going to offer a Droid sequel this month,
| I think it would be right to go over the
| areas that are hoped to be found on board
| of the new handset.
`----

http://www.latestngadgets.com/improvements-to-be-seen-in-the-wish-list-of-motorola-droid/5245.html

The iPhone 4 faces stiff competition

,----[ Quote ]
| The Droid Incredible ($200) is also in
| great demand. This high-end phone runs
| Android. It features 8GB of internal
| storage. You can add up to 16GB of
| additional storage with a microSD card.
|
| The Incredible has a brilliant 800x480
| OLED screen. This type of screen offers
| better, brighter colors than other
| screens. However, it can be a problem
| outdoors in bright sunlight. An optical
| joystick button is placed on the front of
| the phone to help you position the cursor
| precisely.
`----

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/kimkomando/2010-06-17-komando-smartphones_N.htm

Smartphone Upgrades: Keeping up with the Droids and iPhones

,----[ Quote ]
| A whole seven months ago, back in November
| of 2009, I bought myself a Motorola Droid.
| At the time, the phone was considered to
| be absolutely state-of-the-art, with a
| high-resolution display, advanced Android
| 2.0 software, voice recognition,
| integrated GPS, 600Mhz OMAP processor, and
| a nifty slide-out keyboard design.
|
| In those seven months Googleâs Android OS
| has advanced at a pace equivalent to
| bacterial gestation in a petri dish.
|
| Seemingly overnight, the platform has
| exploded, spawning many new phones from
| all the major carriers and TWO major OS
| upgrades, âEclairâ (2.1) which debuted on
| the Nexus One and now âFroyoâ (2.2), which
| was announced at the recent Google I/O
| conference.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/smartphone-upgrades-keeping-up-with-the-droids-and-iphones/13233

Droid X Is Coming To Beat The iPhone 4

,----[ Quote ]
| The super-phone war is about to start. The
| war was triggered back in 2007 when Apple
| announced its revolutionary iPhone. The
| market back then was scattered, primarily
| dragged by stagnated mobile operating
| systems. Times have changed with the
| arrival of Gnu/Linux 'avatar' in form of
| Android.
`----

http://www.katonda.com/news/18/2010/1287

New Droid on the Way to Kick Some iPhone 4 Aspirations

,----[ Quote ]
| Verizon is elbowing its way into the
| Apple-dominated tech spotlight with the
| announcement that it's going to make a big
| announcement next week, and it's a very
| safe bet that it's going to take the wraps
| off a new Droid smartphone. How will the
| newcomer compare to its popular brother?
| Bigger and faster, with a belt packed with
| fancier tools, no doubt.

Droid X vs iPhone 4: The Last Phone Ringing

,----[ Quote ]
| Today there are many phones which may give
| the iPhone run for money if they had a
| 'salesperson' like Steve Jobs. This is no
| hidden fact that Apple has a fan following
| and most of its devices sell owing to this
| following. Apple fans ignore and reject the
| limitations these devices have, instead of
| asking for a device that fit their needs,
| they adopt to the devices.
|
| [...]
|
| On the contrary, Android is all about
| healthy competition. Droid X will have full
| support for Adobe Flash (Adobe should now
| release Flash under some Free Software
| license). Thus Droid X will have marketing
| backing of Motorola, Verizon and Adobe.
`----

http://www.katonda.com/news/17/2010/1282

Android leads growing Linux-based phone market

,----[ Quote ]
| A new report by ABI Research says Linux-
| based smart phones will outpace the rate of
| growth of the overall smart phone market by
| 2015. The drivers behind the expanding
| market share
`----

http://www.itworldcanada.com/news/android-leads-growing-linux-based-smart-phone-market/140914

Showing Progress with Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Threading is no small topic in programming
| circles.
|
| Some folks love them. Some hate them.
|
| Whether they are good or evil is a debate
| for the pious among us â I use them when
| they fit and you might want to do the same.
|
| In this article weâre going to have a look
| at a basic building block of Android
| applications â performing an operation in a
| secondary thread while keeping the primary
| GUI thread accessible and the user up to
| date at all times.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7808/

Apple iPad, Google Android to Grab 75% of Tablet Market in 2010

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Apple-iPad-Google-Android-to-Grab-75-of-Tablet-Market-in-2010-819756/