[News] Linux Home Entertainment Centre and Locked Down Linux

  • Subject: [News] Linux Home Entertainment Centre and Locked Down Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 20:13:52 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

A Linux Home Entertainment Center

,----[ Quote ]
| As I mentioned in an earlier Linux Journal
| article, I decided to cut the apron strings
| with my television provider over a year ago.
| Bye bye, DISH Satelite TV!
|
| Man, you should have heard them whimper. "But
| sir, is there anything we can do to keep your
| business?"
|
| "No, thanks. I get all of my content off the
| internet now. Have you tried Hulu.com*? It's
| great!" I can be a real jerk sometimes.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-home-entertainment-center

Locking Down Linux: Is it Necessary?

,----[ Quote ]
| One thing I love about Linux is it's ability
| to be modular and customizable to degrees
| Windows users can only dream of it. The
| insides of the operating system are available
| to sift through if doing so peaks your fancy
| and the source code is free to take and edit.
| Many Linux Advocates, myself included, assert
| that our operating system of choice is more
| than ready for the "general public" or
| "average user". In recent years it seems the
| term "user friendliness" has become
| associated with the exact opposite of what I
| love about Linux:
`----

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/06/locking-down-linux-is-it-necessary.html

Related:

Japanese Windows users unable to unlock the iPod touch

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/25/japanese-windows-users-unable-to-unlock-the-ipod-touch/