[News] KDE 3.5 is Still Alive and Available; Knowledge in KDE4

  • Subject: [News] KDE 3.5 is Still Alive and Available; Knowledge in KDE4
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:26:17 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Trinity KDE: KDE 3 Zombified or Resurrected?

,----[ Quote ]
| Several weeks ago, I ended a comparison of
| the KDE 4 and 3 desktops by saying "Unless
| a project takes over KDE 3 development,
| sooner or later it may become unusable with
| the latest generation of computers."
|
| What I had missed -- free software being a
| large place where events move at near-light
| speeds -- was that a project had already
| taken over KDE 3 development. It's called
| Trinity KDE, and is organized by Timothy
| Pearson, who has been releasing Kubuntu
| releases that use KDE 3.5 for some time.
| According to Facebook rumor, he has been
| planning to revive KDE 3 for some time.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3890311/Trinity-KDE-KDE-3-Zombified-or-Resurrected.htm

The beauty of choice.

Knowledge: A Different Approach to a Database on the Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Desktop applications for 'Information
| Management' that go beyond conventional
| card-index style databases are hard to
| find. The ideas behind such software are
| perhaps not that well known, so a prototype
| program, Knowledge, has been developed to
| put them firmly into the public domain.
`----

http://www.kdenews.org/2010/06/29/knowledge-different-approach-database-desktop

Recent:

The Trinity Project Picks Up Where KDE 3.5.10 Left Off

,----[ Quote ]
| Hey, pst! Yes, you! I know you've been
| crying yourself to sleep at night ever
| since those mean, mean people developing
| the K Desktop Environment decided to
| radically change the way your favorite DE
| worked and release the dreaded "4"
| version. Good news! There's no more need
| to get over it and move on with your life,
| as, apparently, the God of open source
| decided to bring you a fork of KDE 3. Ok,
| maybe not God, but a company/team that
| goes under the name of Pearson Computing.
`----

http://www.itlure.com/2010/05/trinity-project-picks-up-where-kde-3510.html

New In KDE Partition Manager 1.1 (II): SMART Status Reports

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE Partition Manager 1.1 gains support for
| reading, analyzing and reporting the SMART
| status of disks. SMART (sometimes also
| written as S.M.A.R.T.) is an acronym for
| âSelf-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting
| Technologyâ. In plain English it is a
| monitoring system for hard drives and its
| intention is to give the computer user a
| chance to take action before an impending
| hard drive failure â the action being to
| copy his data to another disk, of course.
`----

http://blog.volker-lanz.de/2010/05/29/new-in-kde-partition-manager-1-1-ii-smart-status-reports/

New In KDE Partition Manager 1.1 (III): Support For 4096-Byte Sectors

,----[ Quote ]
| Hard drives are getting bigger and bigger,
| a trend that leads to some technical
| challenges hard to overcome without user-
| noticable changes. The increase in hard
| disk size means that the areal density (the
| number of bits stored per square inch on
| the drive) also increases heavily, which is
| a good thing at first glance: The higher
| the areal density the faster the same
| amount of data can be read and written.
| Thus the drives not only get larger, they
| also get faster.
`----

http://blog.volker-lanz.de/2010/05/30/new-in-kde-partition-manager-1-1-iii-support-for-4096-byte-sectors/

New In KDE Partition Manager 1.1 (IV): Improved Size Dialog

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.volker-lanz.de/2010/05/31/new-in-kde-partition-manager-1-1-iv-improved-size-dialog/