[News] New Examples of Sharing, Openness

ISKMEâs Lisa Petrides: Open Education and Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| At the beginning of this year we announced
| a revised approach to our education plans,
| focusing our activities to support of the
| Open Educational Resources (OER) movement.
| In order to do so we have worked hard to
| increase the amount of information
| available on our own site â in addition to
| a new Education landing page and our OER
| portal explaining Creative Commonsâ role as
| legal and technical infrastructure
| supporting OER, we have been conducting a
| series of interviews to help clarify some
| of the challenges and opportunities of OER
| in todayâs education landscape.

A global teacher of 1,516 lessons and counting

,----[ Quote ]
| From a tiny closet in Mountain View,
| Calif., Sal Khan is educating the globe for
| free. His 1,516 videotaped mini-lectures --
| on topics ranging from simple addition to
| vector calculus and Napoleonic campaigns --
| are transforming the former hedge fund
| analyst into a YouTube sensation, reaping
| praise from even reluctant students across
| the world.
`----

http://www.physorg.com/news196868176.html

Openness, Radicalism, and Tolerance

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea advocated by groups like the Open
| Knowledge Definition or the Free Cultural
| Works crowd that there should be a litmus
| test for openness really bothers me. Deeply
| bothers me. What is the point of crying
| from the rooftops that some content is
| âOpen in Name Only?â Why must we, the
| âopenâ folks, be in the business of
| ideological purging like the politicians?
| If someone has gone out of their way to
| waive some of the rights guaranteed them
| under the law so that they can share their
| creative works â even if that action is to
| apply a relatively restrictive CC BY-NC-ND
| to their content â why arenât we praising
| that? Why arenât we encouraging and
| cultivating and nurturing that? Why are we
| instead decreeing from a pretended throne
| on high, âYour licensing decision has been
| weighed in the balance, and has been found
| wanting. You are not deemed worthy.â Why
| the condescension? Why the closed-
| mindedness? Why the race to create
| machinery like definitions that give us the
| self-assumed authority to tell someone
| their sharing isnât good enough?
|
| Why isnât the open crowd more open-minded?
`----

http://opencontent.org/blog/archives/1511

Junto: overview of concept, philosophy, and components

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://emergentbydesign.com/2010/06/29/junto-overview-of-concept-philosophy-and-components/