[News] Open Access/Content Gains, Springer Joins the Fold

  • Subject: [News] Open Access/Content Gains, Springer Joins the Fold
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:45:10 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Springer Announces New Open-Access Journals

,----[ Quote ]
| The Springer publishing company today
| announced that it is setting up a new open-
| access journal program. Called
| SpringerOpen, the program will initially
| include 12 new online-only, peer-reviewed
| journals in science, technical, and medical
| fields.
|
| The Chronicle sat down with Eric Merkel-
| Sobotta, Springer's executive vice
| president for corporate communications, and
| Bettina Goerner, the company's manager of
| open access, to talk about the program.
| (They were in town for the annual meeting
| of the American Library Association.) They
| emphasized that all SpringerOpen journals
| will be published under a Creative Commons
| Attribution license, which allows reuse of
| articles as long as the authors are given
| credit. So if you're an instructor who
| wants to use a SpringerOpen article in a
| course you're teaching, "you can include it
| in course packages without e-mailing
| Springer's rights department," Mr. Merkel-
| Sobotta said.
`----

http://chronicle.com/blogPost/Springer-Announces-New/25156/

Open access publishing & open peer review

,----[ Quote ]
| I have never previously submitted a paper
| to JMIR or other open access journals,
| because the university I work for has no
| way of paying the submission and
| publication charges (although they spend a
| fortune on subscriptions to journals - some
| of which I and my colleagues have published
| in). This changed a few weeks ago when I
| persuaded my doctoral supervisors that the
| high impact factor and relatively fast
| review process of JMIR meant this was the
| right journal to submit my latest paper to.
| I had to make a special case (largely based
| on completing my doctorate before the next
| assesment under the Research Excellence
| Framework) and it was agreed that the
| university would pay the fees - but that
| this wouldn't set a precedent for the
| future.
`----

http://blog.rodspace.co.uk/2010/06/open-access-publishing-open-peer-review.html

Speaker interview: Rufus Pollock

,----[ Quote ]
| Rufus Pollock, founder, The Open Knowledge
| Foundation
|
| How, in your experience, have web
| technologies been employed to make the
| world a better place?
|
| The internet and new digital technologies
| have had and will continue to have a huge
| impact on the way that knowledge is
| disseminated in society. Sharing knowledge
| more effectively has the potential to
| improve the world in all kinds of ways --
| from closing the loop between citizens and
| public bodies, allowing for greater
| accountability and improved service
| provision, to improving large-scale
| collaboration in science, e.g. on the
| development of life-saving drugs and
| treatments. Better knowledge sharing
| enables us to understand some of the
| world's biggest problems -- from our
| changing climate to our troubled economies
| -- and to respond to them more effectively.
| In addition to these extrinsic merits,
| digital content can also be intrinsically
| valuable -- such as in the case of classic
| literary or musical works which have
| entered the public domain or recordings of
| lecture courses which anyone can freely
| listen to and share.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/activate/blog/speaker-interview-rufus-pollock

Recent:

Open Access Science ?= Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| As a software engineer who works on open
| source scientific applications and
| frameworks, when I look at this, I scratch
| my head and wonder "why don't they just do
| the equivalent of a code review"? And
| that's really, where the germ of the idea
| behind this blog posting started. What if
| the scientific publishing process were
| more like an open source project? How
| would the need for peer-review be balanced
| with the need to publish? Who should bear
| the costs? Can a publishing model be
| created that minimizes bias and allows
| good ideas to emerge in the face of
| scientific groupthink?
`----

http://www.jroller.com/phidias/entry/open_access_science_open_source

Blind Students Get Free Access to Cambridge U. Press Books

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://chronicle.com/blogPost/Blind-Students-Get-Free-Access/24722/?sid=wc&utm_source=wc&utm_medium=en