[News] Microsoft a Shameless Hypocrite Regarding Software Patents, Sued

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft a Shameless Hypocrite Regarding Software Patents, Sued
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:52:20 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft was against software patents before it was for them

,----[ Quote ]
| Given the support of major corporations like
| IBM -- and, perhaps, a "reformed" Microsoft
| -- for patent protection, Mueller lamented
| that "it is hard to see how the opponents of
| software patents could successfully lobby the
| United States Congress."
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/63009

Salesforce Countersues Microsoft

http://www.shuttervoice.com/4953/salesforce-countersues-microsoft.html

Salesforce Counter-sues Microsoft: Patent Absurdity

,----[ Quote ]
| The complained mentioned .NET platform and
| SharePoint collaboration software violates
| Salesforce.com patents.
`----

http://www.katonda.com/news/26/2010/1317

Amazon Patents Predicting Computing Resource Usage

Related:

Latha Jishnu: The mouse that bit Microsoft
PATENTLY ABSURD

,----[ Quote ]
| Hereâs what Gates wrote in an office memorandum in 1991. âIf people had
| understood how patents would be granted when most of todayâs ideas were
| invented, and had taken out patents, the industry would be at a complete
| standstill today. . . I feel certain that some large company will patent some
| obvious thing related to interface, object orientation, algorithm,
| application extension or other crucial technique.â
|
| This was the year after Microsoft launched Windows 3.0, the first of its new
| operating systems that would become hugely popular across the world. Yet,
| three years down the line, Microsoft had changed from a kitten that was
| content with copyright protection to an aggressive patents tiger. In 1991,
| Microsoft had filed fewer than 50 patent applications whereas last year it
| was awarded 1,637 patents, almost a 12 per cent increase in the number of
| patents it received in 2006. According to IFI Patent Intelligence, the rise
| in Microsoftâs patents portfolio bucked the general trend in 2007 when the
| number of patents issued by the US Patents and Trademark Office dipped by 10
| per cent. Apparently several thousand of the companyâs filings are still
| pending.
|
| All this may prompt the reader to conclude that there is indeed a direct
| correlation between IPR and growth â and wealth â as the company claims. Not
| true, says Mark H Webbink, a US Supreme Court lawyer who is a recognised
| voice on IT issues. Charting the companyâs revenues, R&D spending and patent
| filings from 1985 onwards, he shows that the spike in patent filings occurred
| long after the Microsoft âhad become well established and was being
| investigated for its monopolistic practicesâ. Webbink contends that patents
| did not spur the launch and rapid growth of the mass market software
| industry. On the other hand, patents have become a threat to software
| innovation, he warns.
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/india/storypage.php?autono=330566

The mouse that bit Microsoft

http://www.rediff.com/money/2008/aug/06spec.htm

Critic of Software Patents Wins Nobel Prize in Economics

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdotYourRightsOnline/~3/170631743/article.pl