Re: [News] Google Puts GNU/Linux in Mainstream

____/ Megabyte on Friday 02 Jul 2010 16:18 : \____

> On 10-07-02 5:24 AM, in article i0ki8k$15t$4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
> "Chris Ahlstrom" <ahlstromc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Rockinghorse Winner stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:

>>> If Google can wrangle the hardware support from the peripherals mfgr's, we
>>> may just have a horserace on our hands. And who is better prepared to get
>>> these agreements than the powerhouse Google? I can well imagine an entire
>>> colony industry of Chrome Plug and Play peripherals springing up, sharing
>>> shelf space with the stuff that's sold with the Win logo.
>>
>> Oh god, now you've got the Microsoft and Apple fanbois up in arms.
>> Prepare for the FUD FloodÂ.  :-)
>
> Is Google Chrome OS the direction we really want to head?  I'm all for
> competition and choice, but I'm attaching a link to a video of an
> interesting panel discussion from an Open Source conference related to the
> whole notion.
>
> <http://ia331215.us.archive.org/0/items/2010-COSSFest/2010-COSSFest-Panel-De
> ath-of-the-Desktop_512kb.mp4>

The 'hacker types' won't touch Chrome OS. They'll have hackable systems but make use
of Google's Linux developments, which will go upstream and still serve less informed users (the
many who use Android, the locked version).

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

"The collaborative, massively distributed development process behind the Internet and Open Source
projects is not your enemy. It is your friend, the source of basic research that you can turn
into your next generation of products."
		--Tim OâReilly
Swap:  4088500k total,   417880k used,  3670620k free,   264040k cached