[News] Dell Says GNU/Linux Offers Better Security Than Windows (Again)

  • Subject: [News] Dell Says GNU/Linux Offers Better Security Than Windows (Again)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 12:01:26 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Dell reiterates that Linux is safer than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems however they have not retracted
| similar statements from the "Linux 101"
| video on the same Ubuntu page. In the
| video, a speaker mentions the following
| comments about Ubuntu:
|
| "It's safe and secure. Over 95 percent of
| viruses, spyware and other types of
| malware are designed and targeted to
| attack Microsoft Windows. So, by
| definition, if you're not running
| Microsoft Windows and if you're running
| Linux, you just don't have to worry about
| malware and viruses and spyware."
|
| "There's a lot of reasons consumers like
| Linux. No. 1: it's a powerful operating
| system. It can do lots of things very
| fast."
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/the-open-source-revolution-10014902/dell-reiterates-that-linux-is-safer-than-windows-10017875/

Proprietary Software vs Security

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been a long time since I've had to
| install a piece of proprietary software
| because generally my needs are met
| entirely by Debian's packages or at very
| least by tools distributed as source.
| Recently though I needed to temporarily
| install something for interoperability
| reasons in order to extract some
| information from an opaque blob of data.
|
| The world has come on a long way since I
| last did this and the vendor in question
| had a Linux version of their software. So
| far so good. Unfortunately the install
| instructions for this piece of software
| were, to paraphrase, "download this binary
| and run it with root privileges, following
| the on screen instructions."
|
| I beg your pardon? You expect me to take
| some piece of code with no explanation of
| what it is going to do and run it, not
| just with access to my own files but
| complete unrestricted access to my entire
| system? Are you mad? Or more to the point,
| do you think I'm mad?
`----

http://www.siriusit.co.uk/blogs/01-jul-2010/proprietary-software-vs-security

New Windows Security Breech: Microsoft!

,----[ Quote ]
| A lot has been said about why Linux is
| inherently more secure than Windows.
| However, after reading this post (dated
| July 1, 2010) from PC Advisor, I realized
| that, right now, the security problems in
| Windows can actually be promoted by
| Microsoft. In fact, the security policy of
| the company has to do more with its
| business model than it does with costumer
| support.
`----

http://mandrivachronicles.blogspot.com/2010/07/new-windows-security-breech-microsoft.html

Recent:

Will Dell Dump Microsoft for Google's Chrome Operating System?

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's (GOOG) Chrome operating system
| will be locked in a market share war with
| Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows OS when it's
| released later this year. Microsoft has a
| huge lead because it runs, by some
| estimates, on 90% of the PCs sold around
| the world. The success of Windows 7 may
| help cement that advantage. But the tide
| could be changing.
|
| Google and Dell (DELL) are discussing a
| deal to have its Chrome OS put on on the PC
| company's laptops. According to Reuters,
| "We have to have a point of view on the
| industry and technology direction two
| years, three years down the road, so we
| continuously work with Google on this,"
| Amit Midha, Dell's president for Greater
| China and South Asia said.
`----

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/dell-google-chrome-microsoft/19524202/

Dell is breaking away from Microsoft

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1686831/dell-breaking-away-microsoft

What Chrome OS Needs: Levity

http://www.pcworld.com/article/199860/what_chrome_os_needs_levity.html?tk=rss_news

Dell Hops On Google Chrome OS Bandwagon

http://www.crn.com/software/225700819

Dell embraces cloud, fires first shot in Google vs. Microsoft Battle

http://www.examiner.com/x-45919-Reno-Gadgets-Examiner~y2010m6d21-Dell-may-fire-first-shot-in-Google-vs-Microsoft-Battle

Ubuntu Light demoed on a new Dell 14R

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Light was announced a few months
| back and is intended as a 'fast boot
| version' of Ubuntu for quick access to
| basic internet features such a a web
| browser, Skype & Empathy..
|
| The new 'Unity' interface Ubuntu Light is
| intended to be fast, responsive and quick -
| in the video below Ubuntu Light goes from
| off to Yahoo! in less than 20 seconds on
| one of Dell's newly announced i-core series
| of laptops/netbooks.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/06/ubuntu-light-demoed-on-dell-as-dual.html

Dell 14R Dual-Boot Ubuntu Light/Windows 7 Laptop Demo

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2010/06/21/dell-14r-dual-boot-ubuntu-lightwindows-7-laptop-demo/