[News] University of Nottingham Uses Free Software to Help Health, TrueCrypt Defends User From FBI

  • Subject: [News] University of Nottingham Uses Free Software to Help Health, TrueCrypt Defends User From FBI
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 14:45:20 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

QRisk2 heart disease risk assessment software made open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The University of Nottingham and primary
| care systems supplier EMIS have made the
| QRisk formula for identifying heart
| disease risk available as open source
| software.
`----

http://www.bjhcim.co.uk/news/2010/n1006030.htm

TrueCrypt Beats FBI Encryption Experts in Money Laundering Case

,----[ Quote ]
| The US Federal Bureau of Investigations
| (FBI) has failed to decrypt five hard
| drives protected by the open-source
| encryption software TrueCrypt.
`----

http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2010/6/28/truecrypt-beats-fbi-encryption-experts-money-laundering-case/

Just shows that Free software like TrueCrypt works well.

Recent:

TrueCrypt 6.3 released

,----[ Quote ]
| The TrueCrypt developers have released version
| 6.3 of their open source, cross platform, disk
| encryption tool.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/TrueCrypt-6-3-released-836232.html

Related:

TrueCrypt 5.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| We are pleased to announce that TrueCrypt 5.0 has been released. Among the
| new features are the ability to encrypt a system partition or entire system
| drive (i.e. a drive where Windows is installed) with pre-boot authentication,
| pipelined operations increasing read/write speed by up to 100%, Mac OS X
| version, graphical interface for the Linux version, XTS mode, SHA-512, and
| more.
`----

http://www.truecrypt.org/news.php

Truecrypt 5 Linux Screencast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUqR5fTH1y4

Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
| encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2150555/microsoft-teaching-police-hack

UK holds Microsoft security talks

,----[ Quote ]
| "UK officials are talking to Microsoft over fears the new version of
| Windows could make it harder for police to read suspects' computer files."

Symantec antivirus makes encrypted files inaccessible on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is plugging the Encrypted File System (EFS) feature on
| Vista for mobile users as an important security enhancement. It's
| potentially a good thing too, in case your notebook gets stolen,
| but it's something of a nightmare scenario if popular antivirus
| programs like Symantec don't play nicely with it.
`----

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/juha/2381

Vista encryption 'no threat' to computer forensics

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/02/computer_forensics_vista/